Potter Gray reaches robotics state finals
|Author: By LAUREL WILSON The Daily News|
Date: Monday, January 27th, 2014
|Return to Archive|
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:30 am
For Carrie Koedyker, the best part about coaching a robotics team is watching students learn how to work together.
“I enjoy the process of seeing them go from a group of individuals to a team,” she said.
Koedyker, a gifted and talented teacher at Potter Gray and T.C. Cherry elementary schools, has led a robotics team to the Kentucky FIRST LEGO League State Robotics Championship every year for six years. On Saturday, the Potter Gray Panthers competed at the championship at Western Kentucky University’s E.A. Diddle Arena.
The eight fifth-graders on the team were excited to be at the competition, though they had a packed day with three robot matches, a presentation and a technical interview.
Since October, the team has worked at least three hours a week on its robot. Ross Millet, 10, has enjoyed learning the science and math that goes along with robotics.
“My favorite thing is I’ve never really programmed a robot before, and I think it’s really cool that I figured out how to program this,” he said.
Reed Hensley, 10, is glad to be part of the team because it allows him to get to know his classmates better as well as learn about robot technology.
“We get to do fun things that we love, and we’re also with our friends,” he said.
Being on the robotics team has him thinking of becoming an engineer.
“I always wanted to be a doctor before this, but now that I’ve worked with robots, I kind of want to be an engineer because it’s really fun,” Reed said.
The Potter Gray team was at a disadvantage Saturday because many teams in the championship were from middle schools and had students with several more years of experience, Koedyker said.
“Being an elementary school team, we’re kind of an underdog,” she said.
Still, the group was one of just four teams to advance to the state championships from the regional qualifier. Teams from Glasgow Middle School and Franklin-Simpson Middle School were among the others that advanced to the state championships.
Koedyker thinks the Potter Gray’s team success stems from the students’ ability to work together.
“I just think we work really hard on teamwork, and I think that’s really benefited us,” she said. “The most important thing is to have the core values and the teamwork.”
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,