WKU preparing for fall 2017 semester & Great American Eclipse
|Author: WKU News|
Date: Monday, August 7th, 2017
WKU is preparing for two major events on Aug. 21 -- the opening of the fall 2017 semester and the Great American Eclipse.
To accommodate visitors to campus for the total solar eclipse, WKU has delayed the start of classes on all campuses until 4 p.m. Aug. 21. Offices at all WKU campuses will observe regular hours that day.
The path of totality will stretch across the United States from Oregon to South Carolina in a roughly 100-mile wide band. In Bowling Green, totality starts at 1:27:23 p.m. and ends at 1:28:39 p.m.
Eclipse viewing events for K-12 students, community members and WKU students, faculty and staff are planned at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium, WKU South Lawn and WKU Farm. A VIP event will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the stadium’s Jack and Jackie Harbaugh Club.
As part of its 10th anniversary celebration, The Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky will host alumni, current students, families and friends for a Solar Eclipse Festival from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at South Union Shaker Village.
For more about the eclipse and events at WKU and the region, visit http://www.wku.edu/eclipse/
Here is a list of other events as WKU prepares for the fall semester:
ISEC Academy Aug. 11-13
The Intercultural Student Engagement Center will host the ISEC Academy Aug. 11-13. The program assists first-year students who identify as students of color (Black, Hispanic/Latin, Asian, Native American, Multiracial) and/or who are first-generation, Pell eligible, and have some academic need with their transition, persistence and graduation from WKU. ISEC Academy includes peer mentoring and a living learning community in Keen Hall.
Orientation weekend events at Downing Student Union include a welcome and opening session, family and student orientation sessions, kickoff dinner, personal development sessions and social activities. The ISEC Academy will conclude with a luncheon Aug. 13 at the Mahurin Honors College.
Class of 2021 arrives Aug. 12-13 for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan
About 2,300 first-year students in WKU’s Class of 2021 will begin arriving Aug. 12 for the 25th year of M.A.S.T.E.R. (Making Academic and Social Transitions Educationally Rewarding) Plan activities. (More: Residence hall move-in guide; check out the list of move-in times for residence halls.) M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan events begin Aug. 13 and continue through Aug. 17.
Since M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan’s first year in 1993, more than 43,000 students have participated in the program designed to help first-year students make a successful transition to WKU. A Birthday Bash to celebrate the program’s 25th anniversary will be held at 8 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Preston Health and Activities Center.
The M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan schedule features educational workshops and informational sessions as well as numerous other activities including Opening Convocation, Class of 2021 photo, CloseUp Theatre Troupe performance, a performance by hypnotist/comedian Ben Seidman, Big Red’s Blitz community service event, Campus and Community Involvement Fair, TopperU Closing Ceremony and a concert.
M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan for Commuter Students Aug. 13-14
M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan for Commuter Students will begin at 6 p.m. Aug. 13 at Downing Student Union. The event is designed to provide the information first-year commuter students need to help make their WKU experience as successful as possible. Commuter students will participate in the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Opening Convocation at 8 p.m. at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan educational sessions for first-year commuter students will be held Aug. 14.
President will welcome students, other groups to WKU
In addition to welcoming the Class of 2021 on Aug. 13 during a Meet and Greet for students and parents at noon and during the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Opening Ceremony at 8 p.m., WKU President Timothy C. Caboni will welcome new WKU faculty members at 6 p.m. Aug. 16; Gatton Academy 10-Year Anniversary attendees at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 19; Kelly Autism Program students at 3 p.m. Aug. 20; and student-athletes at 4 p.m. Aug. 20.
International Student Orientation Week
International Student Orientation Week activities will be held Aug. 14-18 with a Welcome Back Picnic for international students from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 20 at Kereiakes Park.
Global Hands-On Universe conference begins Aug. 15
WKU will host about 50 international teachers and astronomers for the 2017 Global Hands-On Universe Conference and the Galileo Teacher Training Program international workshop Aug. 15-19. Presentations and workshops for the scientific/educational program will be held at Snell Hall, Thompson Complex Central Wing and Hardin Planetarium. Activities include WKU’s total solar eclipse viewing event Aug. 21.
Events at WKU Regional Campuses
The following events are planned at WKU’s Regional Campuses:
- WKU Elizabethtown will participate in a Week of Welcome, hosted by Elizabethtown Community and Technical College, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET Aug. 14-17 at the ECTC Science Building Courtyard.
- WKU Owensboro will host student orientation sessions from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 15 at the WKU Owensboro campus. These orientation sessions introduce resources and opportunities available to students on the WKU Owensboro campus.
- WKU Glasgow will host Welcome Back WKU Glasgow from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 29 and a Back to School Bash from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 5 at the WKU Glasgow campus.
Residence halls open Aug. 17
Residence halls open for all non-M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan participants at 8 a.m. Aug. 17. Residents are encouraged to move in by Aug. 20 to avoid traffic/congestion during the solar eclipse on Aug. 21. More: Residence hall move-in guide.
Topper Orientation Program Aug. 10 & Aug. 17-18
TOP (new student orientation) sessions for fall 2017 will be conducted Aug. 10 and Aug. 17-18 at Downing Student Union.
Graduate student orientation and reception Aug. 17
The WKU Graduate School will host graduate student orientation program at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 17 at Jody Richards Hall Auditorium followed by a welcome reception for graduate students from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Augenstein Alumni Center.
President’s Opening Convocation Aug. 18
The President’s Opening Convocation for faculty and staff will be held Aug. 18 at Van Meter Hall. Entertainment by Mt. Victor Revue will begin at 8 a.m.
Gathering on the Hill Aug. 18
Following the convocation, WKU Regional Campuses will host a meet and greet at WKU’s Faculty House. Remarks will begin at 10:15 a.m.
The Gatton Academy’s 10th Anniversary Aug. 19-21
In addition to the Solar Eclipse Festival, The Gatton Academy will celebrate its 10-year anniversary Aug. 19-21 with several events including alumni classes; a presentation by Dr. Tim Gott, The Gatton Academy’s first director; a welcome reception; class reunion dinner; alumni service project; and an alumni prom.
Head for The Hill Aug. 26
On Aug. 26, WKU's Office of Admissions will host Head for The Hill, an open house event for prospective students that offers a comprehensive look at WKU’s academic offerings, student activities and campus. Sessions are offered to provide information about life on The Hill, and an information expo allows students and their families the opportunity to personally connect with representatives from different academic departments, student services, housing, financial aid and more. Register at http://www.wku.edu/headforthehill.
Welcome Back WKU Festival Aug. 30
The annual event, hosted by the Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce, will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 30 on the WKU South Lawn.
Student Organization Fair Aug. 30
WKU Student Activities will host DISCOVERfest, the fall 2017 student involvement fair, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 30 in Downing Student Union.
International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina
WKU will celebrate its International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina during the 2017-18 academic year. Featured events include Bosnian Café, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 28 at Centennial Mall; Bosnia 101 on Aug. 29; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green, an exhibit featuring stories from Bowling Green’s Bosnian community, Sept. 29-June 30 at the Kentucky Museum. Visit the IYO featured events calendar for the latest information about activities and programming.
WKU Football season opener Sept. 2
The Hilltopper football team opens the 2017 season against Eastern Kentucky at 6 p.m. Sept. 2 at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium.
WKU on social media
Many offices and departments at WKU are using social media to connect with students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members. Learn more at WKU’s Social Media directory at http://www.wku.edu/social/
Follow WKU News
Contact: Public Affairs, (270) 745-4295
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Online Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Training Resources & Event Planning Services
Sunday, August 20th and Monday, August 21st
Saturday, August 19th
WKU Office of Admissions is taking its DiscoverWKU events across the United States this fall.
Sodexo has made a gift commitment to WKU to establish the Sodexo Scholarship Fund to support their employees, as well as their dependents, in the pursuit of higher education at any campus of WKU.
The annual faculty and staff awards were presented Friday morning at WKU’s 2017 opening convocation.
WKU President Timothy C. Caboni outlined the strategic planning process for WKU’s future as well as new initiatives being implemented this fall during the annual Faculty Staff Convocation Friday.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,