School of Nursing Information for:
Back to CHHS Home
Dr. Jodie Dunkelberger, WKU DNP Graduate, discusses the benefits of a blended course format as well as the knowledge gained from completing the DNP program.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
Preparing nurses to become leaders in nursing practice and administration. Designed for the working nurse!
Admission Deadline Date: April 1, for summer/fall admission.
BSN to DNP
Please ensure you select the correct concentration (BSN to DNP Nurse Executive or BSN to DNP Family Nurse Practitioner) when completing your application. More information is provided below in the Apply to the Graduate School section.
The BSN to DNP has two specialty tracks - Family Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Executive. Students completing the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) concentration will be eligible to sit for the Family Nurse Practitioner certification examination.
- Both weekday and week-end courses (Weekend course will be taught in 4 seminars per semester).
- Experienced and credentialed faculty
- Total Credit Hours: 76 - Family Nurse Practitioner, 63 - Nurse Executive
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Course Progression:
- Nurse Executive Course Progression:
Please ensure you select the correct concentration (MSN to DNP) when completing your application. More information is provided below in the Apply to the Graduate School section.
The Post MSN DNP curricula builds on traditional master's programs by providing educations in evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and systems leadership. The DNP is designed for nurses seeking a terminal degree in nursing practice and offers an alternative to research-focused doctoral programs.
- Four on campus weekend seminars per semester with on-line enhancement
- Experienced and credentialed faculty
- Total Credit hours: 36
- Part-time Curriculum Post MSN DNP
- Full-time Curriculum Post MSN DNP
- BSN or MSN from a CCNE or NLNAC accredited nursing program
- GPA 3.25 cumulative in BSN or MSN
- Undergraduate degree from an international university outside the U.S. or English is a second language submit appropriate TOFEL scores (policy established by the Graduate School)
- Three professional references
- Verification of MSN Clinical and Practice Hours
- Written goal statement
- Resume highlighting past education, relevant clinical experience, scholarly endeavors and professional service (BSN to DNP students must document one year full-time experience as a registered nurse)
- Professional license
- NPs must have a current and unencumbered RN and APN license in the state of residence in which clinical experiences will be completed
- Nurse Administrators must have a current and unencumbered RN license in the state of residence where clinical experiences will be completed.
- BSN - current and unencumbered RN license in Kentucky or compact state.
The following requirements only apply to the MSN to DNP option:
- Completed verification of post-baccalaureate practice hours form. (Applicants who cannot demonstrate a minimum of 500 clinical hours in graduate program will be expected to complete clinical course work beyond the proposed curriculum.)
- Graduate level statistics within past 5 years.
Apply to the Graduate School by following the directions below. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Melissa Hamlin at 270-745-4392.
- Go to Apply Now for Admission at WKU. On the right side of the web page, locate the Graduate Applications red banner and click Doctoral Degree Applicants to begin your WKU Graduate Admission Application.
- On the WKU Admission application web page, follow the prompts as requested (creating an application account or logging in with your WKUID & PIN).
- On the Select an Application Type web page, use the Application Type drop down list to select Graduate - Doctoral DNP.
- On the Apply for Admissions webpage, use the Application Term drop down list to select the semester you want to begin your course work. Ensure all other requested information on this web page is provided.
- Follow the Application Checklist prompts through each section. You will need to complete all 10 sections.
- On the Planned Course of Study web page (Checklist item 8 of 10), use the Planned Course of Study drop down list to select Nursing Practice (0011) (C) and use the Concentration drop down list to select the appropriate option (listed below) for your desired degree program.
- BSN to DNP (Nurse Executive)
- BSN to DNP (Family Nurse Pract)
- MSN to DNP
- On the Additional Study Course Info web page (Checklist item 9 of 10), use the Planned course of study drop down list to select the appropriate option (listed below) for your desired degree program.
- MSN to DNP
- BSN to DNP
**Please note, if your application is submitted with the wrong option in Checklist item 8 or 9, you will have to complete a new application and incur an additional application fee.**
- All admission materials must be submitted electronically as an attachment to email@example.com.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,