Prior to AdmissionAbout WKU
Distance Learning Options
Is Distance Learning for me?
Get EnrolledApply for Admission
Find Your Courses
Register & Set-Up Accounts
Learning OnlineUsing Blackboard
Orientation for Online Learners
Requirements below are considered the minimum needed to succeed in an online course.
- Processor:Pentium IV processor with a processor speed of 800 MHz.
- RAM: Computer memory is directly affected by how many programs are running at any given time. Running multiple applications at once slows a computer’s performance. Therefore, we recommend students have at least 256 Mb of RAM installed.
- Sound: A working sound card and speakers will be required. Some web classes also require a headset & microphone.
- Internet Connection: High-speed internet connection, such as DSL or a cable modem. Your internet connection is critical for viewing MediaSite videos and other supplemental videos in Blackboard.
- Disk Drive: A CD-Rom drive may be required for some software installation and program materials.
- Monitor: A monitor with a minimum 800 x 600 resolution is required. It is recommended that students have a monitor with at 1024 x 768 or more.
- Printer: When you login to your online course(s) you will find your syllabi, articles and assignments. The majority of students find access to a printer imperative. While you may feel comfortable accessing documents online, having a hard copy of the course syllabus can prove useful. Also, having the ability to take notes and highlight main points in assigned readings can help you when studying and/or completing research projects.
- Disk Space: 2 GB of disk space is required for software installation. Certain software is required for full functionality of online courses. To run an automatic system check, visit our browser compatibility page.
- Firefox is recommended for viewing all online courses in Blackboard. Other Internet browsers include Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari. Download Firefox for free here.
- Microsoft Office is required and is available for free to WKU students. To access your free download visit the WKU Software Center.
Your instructors may use MediaSite to record lectures for online delivery. Students may also use MediaSite when virtual presentations are required. Please visit the link below to test your audio and video connection: https://support.sonicfoundry.com/Training/ViewingRequirements. For the most up-to-date information for recording a student presentation visit the Online Presentation Coaching Center.
Live Tech support is available extended hours through the WKU Helpdesk via email, chat and phone. There is also an extensive library of helpful videos. Visit www.wku.edu/it to learn more.
Proceed to "Applying for Admission"
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,