What is the ACCUPLACER?
The purpose of ACCUPLACER tests is to provide you with useful information about your academic skills in math, English, and reading. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to determine your course selection.
You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement tests, but it is very important that you do your very best on these tests so that you will have an accurate measure of your academic skills.
Students over the age of 21 who are entering college as a freshman, and have no other scores on file with the university, are required to take the ACCUPLACER prior to registering for any math or English course. There is no charge for taking the exam, if you are an admitted WKU student.
Additional information about the ACCUPLACER, including tips, test structure and scoring is available from the Alice Rowe Learning Assistance Center.
Preparing for the ACCUPLACER
It is important to prepare for the ACCUPLACER, just as with any test. Proper preparation can make a significant difference in your score, and result in you taking fewer college courses. One of the most significant things you can do is familiarize yourself with the structure of the test, and view sample questions. This can be done on the College Board website. In addition, there are helpful practice tests available on the following websites:
- ACCUPLACER Test Success
- Test Prep Review
- Study Guides from Aims Community College
- Study Guides from Anoka Ramsey Community College
The ACCUPLACER is administered at WKU's South Campus location, Regional Campus locations in Glasgow, Owensboro and Elizabethtown/Radcliff/Ft. Knox, and at remote locations near you!. Students living in Kentucky may select a location from the list below. Students living outside Kentucky may select from pre-approved testing centers throughout the United States by visiting http://www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php or by contacting a university or community college in the area.
Scheduling the ACCUPLACER
- Select your location: You may select any WKU campus site, a location from the list of pre-approved proctor sites in Kentucky, or visit the NCTA website for approved locations.
- Contact the Testing Center of your choice to verify available dates/times to take the exam.
- Schedule a time most convenient for you.
- Contact Jan Duvall at the Alice Rowe Learning Assistance Center by emailing email@example.com or calling 270-780-2536. Tell her you would like to take the ACCUPLACER. Please have your student ID and time/date/location of the exam available when you call/email. Jan will then send the exam code to that testing center.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,