Lifetime Experience Grant Program
Application deadlines are: Monday, November 7, 2016 (for Winter/Spring projects) and Monday, March 27 (for Summer/Fall projects)
Summer/Fall Priority Deadline: Monday, February 13
The Lifetime Experience Grant program, funded with the generous support of the WKU Sisterhood, is open to students in all majors across all campuses. It is designed to help students become more competitive for national scholarships by supporting research, international study, creative activities, student-led engagement efforts, or other scholarly activities. The goal of the grant program is to fund unique experiences where students will be engaged in their disciplines outside of the classroom. These grants are meant to allow students to pursue their big dreams, attain their academic and professional goals, and increase their competitiveness for national scholarships.
In the past, students have used these grants to pursue internships in their field in the U.S. and abroad, gain training in their discipline not available at WKU, complete service projects in the U.S. and abroad, and conduct research. Recipients must meet with an adviser in the Office of Scholar Development and apply for a national or international scholarship. Preference will be given to students planning to apply for at least one of the following national scholarships: Boren, Critical Language, Fulbright, Gilman, Goldwater, Marshall, Mitchell, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Rhodes, Gates Cambridge, Truman, Udall. Additionally, students must present their projects at the WKU Student Research Conference or another appropriate venue.
Students may apply for up to $3,000.
- Must be enrolled at WKU with at least one full semester left to complete
- Must have a 3.5 GPA
- Must be planning to apply for a nationally competitive scholarship
- Must be able to demonstrate how LTE funding would increase one's competitiveness for one or more national scholarships
- The LTE Grant Program is not intended to fund coursework in the U.S. or abroad. Students seeking funding for study abroad should indicate how they will be engaged in their disciplines outside of the classroom through internships or research.
- The LTE Grant is not a travel grant. Students may include conference travel in their budgets; however, conference participation should not be the focus of the proposal.
- Preference will be given to students planning to apply for at least one of the following national scholarships: Boren, Critical Language, Fulbright, Gilman, Goldwater, Marshall, Mitchell, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Rhodes, Gates Cambridge, Truman, Udall.
Complete applications include the proposal coversheet, a proposal narrative, a budget, and one faculty evaluation. Applicants should email the coversheet, proposal narrative, and budget as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Faculty evaluators should email the evaluation form to the same address.
Proposal Narrative: Write a one-page detailed proposal narrative (at least 11-point font) that includes the following information: the objectives of the project, approach or methodology, expected results, and significance.
- The Objectives of the Project: In a few sentences provide an overview of your project accessible to a general reader.
- Approach (Methodology): Describe the overall approach you will take. Explain what you intend to do and how you intend to do it.
- Expected Results: What do you expect to produce, learn, or create?
- Significance: Describe the significance or value of your project. Articulate how this experience connects with your national scholarship goals.
Download Application Materials:
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,