- Studying Psychology
- Experiencing Psychology
- Careers in Psychology
- Regional Campuses
- About the Department
- Mission Statement
- Contact Us
- College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Press Enter to Search
Psychology Course and Program Changes
November 21, 2014
The Psy.D. program is pending approval by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
The faculty of the Department of Psychology are pleased to announce that our Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Applied Psychology program was approved by the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education on November 21, 2014. The Psy.D. program is pending approval by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. This program has both a School Psychology specialization and a Clinical Psychology Specialization. We will be pursuing APA accreditation. This is the 4th applied doctoral program for WKU.
September 9, 2014
We have had some questions about how one goes from the 760P (Pending admission) major to the 760 major. Once a semester around finals time 760P majors will be reviewed and if they meet criteria (20 ACT or 2.5 GPA after 30 hours) will be switched to the 760 major. It is possible for students who know they have met criteria to fill out the Change of Major/Minor form on TopNet and take it to Dr. Pitt Derryberry.
September 1, 2014
As mentioned in the July 1, 2014 note below, course numbers and prefixes are changing. The Psychology Department is not changing numbers until Winter 2015 so for Fall 2014 your course numbers should be familiar for the Psychology Department courses (PSY prefix, such as Psy 495).
However, the Psychological Sciences department (PsyS prefix) has, starting this fall, already partially implemented some of the changes. (For example, you will find PsyS 481 instead of PsyS 495 and, while Psychology offers 199 in the fall, Psychological Sciences is offering the same course as 220). They have not fully implemented the numbering changes so you will still find PsyS 361 for Psychological Testing instead of the new PsyS 413. Our advice, as you look at PsyS courses, is that you look at course titles and check the number change table provided in the July 1 note below. Psychology Department courses will be familiar numbers one more semester.
July 1, 2014
Use the linked document (pdf) to quickly identify the new numbers and prefixes for courses for the B.A. in Psychology. The old number is in the 2nd column and the new number (if there is one) is in the 3rd column.
For a side-by-side comparison checklist of the old Psychology B.A. with the new Psychology B.A. click on the appropriate link below
March 2014 Announcement for students
#1 Psychology Course Change
Please note the following information relevant to the Psychology major as you register for classes for the Summer and Fall:
- WKU now has both the Department of Psychology in the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences (http://wku.edu/psychology/) and the new Department of Psychological Sciences in the Ogden College of Science and Engineering (http://wku.edu/psychological-sciences/index.php).
- The course schedules for summer and fall classes in both departments are now posted to Topnet.
- As you are choosing courses for Summer or Fall 2014 semesters, please be sure to look at courses from both departments to fulfill your requirements for your major or minor.
- You may take courses with either the "PSY" or "PSYS" prefix in creating your schedule.
- Some courses included in the Psychology BA degree requirements with a “PSY” (Psychology) prefix are now only offered with the “PSYS” (Psychological Sciences) prefix.
- A course with either prefix that fulfills a requirement will count toward graduation.
- The attached document lists the courses that are available from both departments in the Summer and Fall 2014 terms.
If you have any further questions, please contact your advisor.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,