Faculty Incentive Program
An agreement between WKU and the WKU Research Foundation allows faculty members to receive incentive payments for charging time and effort to extramural sources.
By mutual consent with the Department Head, a faculty member can use funding from external sources (“buying out”) to pay a portion of their salary, and thus become eligible for an incentive bonus; as follows:
- Grants that carry full F&A (42%) will result in a bonus of 40% of the salary saved.
- Buy out from all other sources will result in a bonus of 20% of the salary saved.
The percentage of salary “bought out” shall not exceed the following for any given semester:
- 60% for faculty on nine-month contracts;
- 40% for faculty with appointments at the level of department head/director; and
- 20% for faculty with administrative appointments at the level of dean or higher.
Bonuses are paid by the WKURF into the faculty member’s paycheck after the semester in question. They are subject to IRS and other withholdings.
Office of Research & Creative Activity
Potter Hall 301
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,