M.S. Recreation & Sport Administration
The Master of Science degree in Recreation and Sport Administration (RSA) is designed to prepare professionals for a wide variety of exciting occupations. This degree program provides opportunities to study specialized areas in-depth and prepares students who plan to pursue doctoral studies. Experience is necessary in the ever-changing and competitive recreation and sport industry. Therefore, this program emphasizes practical experience and networking to strengthen employment potential following graduation.
The RSA faculty is comprised of experienced professionals who are leaders in their fields and offer expertise in a wide variety of subject areas. Our faculty members have constructed challenging and engaging courses that prepare students to confidently face real-world challenges.
Program of Study
The 33-hour degree requires 24 hours of core courses. Students then select 9 hours of advisor approved electives from their interest area. All students will complete at least one practicum experience and may choose a second experience as an elective.Admission Requirements
The minimum requirements for acceptance into the Master of Science in Recreation and Sports Administration with a concentration in Facility and Event Management are as follows:
- A bachelor's degree from a college or university of recognized standing with at least a 2.5 overall GPA.Application & Fee
- Students seeking a graduate degree must apply online. There is an application fee. Please make sure that in "Course of Study" that you choose Recreation and Sport Administration. In the "Concentration" pull down box you will need to select "Facility and Event Management."Transcript Record
- Graduates of accredited institutions other than WKU must submit an official transcript showing the completed degree to the The Graduate School.Statement of Professional Intent
- Statement should provide a sample of applicant's writing style and ability. It should be 2-3 pages, double-spaced, and is expected o be well organized, clearly written and error free. It should include an introduction, responses to the three questions below, and a conclusion:
-Why do you want to pursue this degree?
-What related qualifications and/or experiences do you bring to the program?
-What are your career goals after completing the program
Statements should be emailed to email@example.com and include your full name and WKU Student ID (if known).
Students wishing to apply should visit the Graduate Studies website at http://www.wku.edu/graduate/ and click on the red "Apply Now" button.
When completing the online application, use the following information:
- Planned Course of Study -- Recreation and Sport Administration.
- Concentration -- General (on campus).
Students wishing to apply for a graduate assistant position must submit the following materials:
- Completed Graduate Assistantship Application
- Cover Letter
- Resume (include 3 references)
All materials must be submitted electronically to Dr. Brad Stinnett. Applications are due no later than March 15th for committee review. Successful applicants will be contacted by April 15th. All applicants will receive a decision notification by April 30th.
Degree Requirements—33 hours
Required Core—24 hours
RSA 501 Analysis of Research in Recreation (FA/SP/SU)
RSA 513 Recreation and Sport Administration (SP)
RSA 515 Recreation Sport Facility Development (SP)
RSA 517 Legal Issues in Recreation and Sport (SP)
RSA 519 Fiscal Practices in Recreation Sport (FA)
RSA 521 Public Relations in Recreation and Sport (FA)
RSA 523 Theory of Recreation and Sport (FA)
RSA 590 Practicum (FA/SP/SU)
(FA=Course is offered in the Fall, SP=Course is offered in the Spring, SU=Course is offered in the Summer)
Plus 3 advisor approved electives
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,