In 1920, University of Southern California sociologist Dr. Emory S. Bogardus founded Alpha Kappa Delta for the purposes of stimulating scholarship and promoting the scientific study of society. Bogardus’ impetus in establishing this organization was to provide a forum for student and faculty interchange. His endeavor paved the way for what has become an international organization dedicated to promoting, facilitating, and recognizing academic scholarship. As we enter the 21st century, Alpha Kappa Delta is an integral part of many Sociology programs and is proud to acknowledge that in the past eight decades, over 80,000 scholars have been initiated into the Society. More than 490 chapters have been chartered in the United States, Canada, China, Finland, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Singapore.
The purpose of the honor society is to promote scholarship, but the focus has always been fellowship for students, both at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Conferring a charter signifies that the institution meets high standards of program quality and scholarship. Individual students must also meet high standards. To become a member of AKD, a student:
1) Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of WKU.
2) Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of WKU.
3) Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.0 or a ‘B’ average and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship.
4) Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at WKU prior to initiation.
5) Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology (12 hours) prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail). Graduate students need to complete at least one-half year of course work in sociology while maintaining at least a ‘B’ average.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,