Study Abroad and Finances
Study Abroad has an undeserved reputation of being unaffordable. Even the most expensive program can become affordable if you use all of the resources available to you. If you are eligible for financial aid and/or are receiving scholarships, those awards may be applied towards a study abroad opportunity. Please check with Student Financial Assistance for more information regarding your particular financial aid situation.
Study Abroad and Financial Aid
Most forms of financial aid may be used to pay for your study abroad program costs. To find out if you can use your Financial Aid towards the program of your choice, please email Student Financial Assistance. The following information must be included in your your e-mail: Name, 800#, and term you are considering studying abroad.
If you wish to use your WKU financial aid to help pay for a study abroad program, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
Please note: The following items are general reminders and may not apply to everyone participating in a Study Abroad Program.
• Make sure you have a current FAFSA on file.
• Select your study abroad program carefully. Choosing to study abroad on a non-WKU program may prevent you from applying your financial aid. For more information on WKU-programs, please go to www.wku.edu/studyabroad or call (270)745-5334.
• Submit your Course Approval form (part of your pre-departure process) to the Study Abroad office early. In order to apply your financial aid to your program, the Financial Aid office must receive two forms from the Study Abroad office: a Study Abroad Approval form and a Course Approval form. Students will work with their academic advisors to complete the latter.
• Enroll in courses for credit. No federal aid may be applied to audited courses.
• Keep in mind that financial aid may be applied NO earlier than 10 days prior to the start date of the program.