American Frontier Culture in Virginia
Experience the contributions of the English, Irish, German, Igbo (African), and Native Americans in building America.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Students will engage in self-definition
- Students will develop intercultural understanding
- Students will experience multicultural exchanges
- Must be 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental consent
- Ability to complete course requirements
- Good Academic Standing
- Approval of Judicial Affairs (if currently under any sanction)
- Junior Standing or Permission of instructor
- Complete Study Away application process
- Current WKU student eligible to register for summer term course
- Course activity will occur before and after travel to Staunton, Virginia. See itinerary in syllabus for more details.
- Cultural Frontier Museum
- Group will travel together by bus from Bowling Green, Kentucky to Staunton, Virginia
- Program will involve walking so participants should wear proper shoes that are comfortable for walking and cover their feet.
- Adequate physical condition is needed to access the sites.
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition ($1,062 estimated value), meals while on-site, group ground transportation, accommodations, and admission.
- Not included in program fee: personal spending money.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- Check with their major departments about additional available scholarships.
- You may contact Student Financial Assistance to determine your funding options if needed. You will need to provide the course number, name, your name and 800#, and the Study Away course fee as stated above, in the email you send to financial aid.
Planned Schedule - 2014 (tentative)
Course work begins
Bus from Bowling Green, KY to Staunton, VA
English American Frontier Experience
Irish American Frontier Experience
Visit Jamestown and Yorktown
German American Frontier Experience
Igbo (West African) Farm Village Experience
Native American Frontier Experience
American Colonial Village Experience
Bus from Staunton, VA to Bowling Green, KY
|May 28 – 31||
Post Presentations and Final Exam