Funding Your Course
Change of Plans
Study Away Application
This process should only be used for programs listed on the Study Away website.
Where do I start?
Participation in a Study Away program requires you to complete several steps. We try to make this as easy as possible, but these steps must be followed.
- Carefully read the Student Handbook BEFORE applying for a program. If you have any questions, be sure to Contact the Study Away Office immediately.
- Complete the Study Away Application via TopNet. This link will be active when a program
is open. You will need the following items ready when you apply.
- A credit card (initial payment required with application)
- Medical insurance card or policy information with name of insured; policy number; group number; and expiration date
- If accepted, the Study Away office will register you for the course and you will receive email notification.
- Provide proof of medical insurance when requested.
- Pay the balance of the program fee.
- Attend the orientation.
- The course instructor may also require other meetings or assignments in preparation for the Study Away program as stated in the syllabus.
Where is the Study Away Handbook?
Who is eligible?
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible for a program:
- Current WKU student eligible to register for courses
- Must be 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental consent
- Minimum GPA – 2.0
- Good Academic Standing
- Approval of Judicial Affairs (if currently under any sanction)
- Permission of instructor
- Complete Study Away agreement (on TopNet)
See specific program details for additional eligibility requirements.
We suggest you review the Student Handbook prior to applying for a program since you are asked to verify you’ve read AND understand the policies as part of the application process.
Make sure you have a FAFSA on file immediately. The FAFSA approval takes a few weeks for approval and you may run out of time before your course begins if you don't file immediately.
Will I get a spot in the course?
Since enrollment is limited, the Study Away Office strongly recommends that you apply early, as many programs will be filled to capacity prior to the deadlines. Applying early does not guarantee acceptance. Also note that some programs have earlier application deadlines. Check the specific program to determine the deadline of a particular program.
Who has access to my information?
Student Release Information
According the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Study Away Office (SAO) may only share directory information without your consent. During your participation in a Study Away program, the SAO may need to provide other information about your education record (including class schedule, attendance, travel arrangements) to a parent, guardian or other third parties.
We recommend that you allow the SAO to share information with parents, guardian, spouses or those financially responsible for the Study Away program. Information about another student will not be provided without that student’s consent.
You will find the release authorization in the study away application in TopNet.
For more information on FERPA, contact an advisor or visit this link.
Do I need insurance?
Medical & Health Insurance
Currently, participating in a Study Away or an American Traveler program does not require a specific medical/health insurance. However, to participate, you must provide proof of medical/health insurance by submitting a copy of your insurance card to the Study Away Office when requested.
- KYNECT offers insurance options for you. Link to KYNECT
- An on-line search option for all types of travel-related medical and accident insurance. http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.html
Again, WKU does not endorse a specific insurance, but we do require that you provide proof of coverage for the duration of your Study Away program.
Where are the step-by-step instructions?
See these instructions for how to use the TOPNET Study Away Application (PDF).
Ready to Apply?
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,