Study Away Application
This process should only be used for programs listed on the Study Away website.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible for a program:
- Current WKU student eligible to register for courses
- Must be 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental consent
- Minimum GPA – 2.0
- Good Academic Standing
- Approval of Judicial Affairs (if currently under any sanction)
- Permission of instructor
- Complete Study Away agreement (on TopNet)
See specific program details for additional eligibility requirements.
We suggest you review the Student Handbook prior to applying for a program since you are asked to verify you’ve read AND understand the policies as part of the application process.
Participation in a Study Away program requires you to complete several steps. We try to make this as easy as possible, but these steps must be followed.
- Carefully read the Student Handbook BEFORE applying for a program. If you have any questions, be sure to Contact the Study Away Office immediately.
- Complete the Study Away Application via TopNet. This link will be active when a program
is open. You will need the following items ready when you apply.
- A credit card (initial payment required with application)
- Medical insurance card or policy information with name of insured; policy number; group number; and expiration date
- If accepted, the Study Away office will register you for the course and you will receive email notification.
- Provide proof of medical insurance when requested.
- Pay the balance of the program fee.
- Attend the orientation.
- The course instructor may also require other meetings or assignments in preparation for the Study Away program as stated in the syllabus.
Since enrollment is limited, the Study Away Office strongly recommends that you apply early, as many programs will be filled to capacity prior to the deadlines. Applying early does not guarantee acceptance. Also note that some programs have earlier application deadlines. Check the specific program to determine the deadline of a particular program.
Student Release Information
See the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) link on left to learn more about this.
See these instructions for how to use the TOPNET Study Away Application (PDF).
Before applying, read the handbook and have credit card and insurance information ready.
(Log in to TopNet, Select Student Services, and scroll to bottom)
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,