Services & Programs
- Teacher Admissions
- Field Experience
- Student Teaching
- Teacher Certification
- Minority Recruitment And Retention Center
- Alternative Route To Teacher Certification Program
- TEACH Grant
- International Cross-Cultural Initiatives
- School of Teacher Education
- University Supervisors
- Praxis Information
Teacher Services Search:
Press Enter to Search
Instructions For Applying For Admission To Student Teaching
Be sure you have met all prerequisites.
- Applications will be accepted for the Fall semester from the last week in January through February 14. Spring semester applications will be accepted from the last week in August through September 15.
- Circle your major – Elementary, Middle Grade, Secondary, 5-12, P-12, Special Ed., or IECE. Indicate the certification subject area of your major – English, Math, PE, Art, etc.
- Complete personal information. List a permanent mailing address and a telephone number where you can always be contacted. Keep the Student Teaching Office informed when changes are made in your local address and telephone number. Initial appropriate boxes to verify that you have read and understood the directions.
- If you have an interest in completing a portion of your student teaching internationally, please initial the box that indicates your desire. You will be invited (via email) to an informational meeting after s.t. applications have been processed.
- Clearly indicate your assignment request. You are required to list three (3) school districts of preference. Independent systems should be listed with the county district as one choice with the preferred placement first; i.e. Bowling Green Ind./Warren County or Warren/Bowling Green.
- List any specific schools where you cannot student teach. You cannot student teach in the high school from which you graduated (less than 10 yrs.) nor a school at any level with which you have been employed or have close family or social ties. (This includes schools where you have served as a substitute teacher.)
- Sign and date the application form. Your application will not be valid without your initials and your signature and date.
- Read, sign, and date the Student Teaching Contract.
- Complete the Student Teaching Data Sheet. This form will be sent to the supervising teacher(s) and university supervisor to whom you are assigned.
- Return your application, contract, and data sheet to the Student Teaching Office in GRH 2050 before the deadline. Please remember that applications will be processed in the order that they are returned.
- Your assignment constitutes an obligation on your part and your plans should provide for meeting this assignment. Changes in assignments should never be requested except in cases of the most extenuating circumstances, as they reflect negatively upon the university and you.Please notify the Student Teaching Office ASAP if you will be unable to fulfill this obligation.
- Student teachers will be notified of their assignment by mail as soon as the majority of placements are confirmed.
- You must file the results of a current (less than one year during the student teaching term) physical examination and TB assessment with the Student Teaching Office. State law requires that we have these forms on file before you report to your student teaching assignment. Once you have received your assignment, it is your responsibility to report to the school district to do a ten finger criminal record check. The fee for the criminal record check must be paid by money order or cashier's check. (No personal checks) Please call the school district office for further details and to set up an appointment.
- · You must register for student teaching just as you would for any other course. Completion of this application does not constitute registration. Please contact Stephanie Wimsatt, firstname.lastname@example.org , to be cleared for EDU 489 or SPED 434 – Student Teaching Seminar or Karen Long, email@example.com, for SMED 489.
- You are required to attend an orientation session for student teachers prior to reporting to student teaching.
CERTAIN COURSEWORK MAY NOT BE TAKEN DURING STUDENT TEACHING without written permission from the Director of Teacher Services & School Relations. If you are planning to take a course during student teaching, you must email the Student Teaching Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, to ensure that it does not conflict with state or university regulations.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,