Reading Roundtable Reading List for Fall 2000
Directed by Ted Hovet, English
The CTL gained permission to copy the following selections. The materials were copied and placed in a spiral-bound booklet for each participant.
1. Palmer, Parker. Courage to Teach. Jossey-Bass, 1998. Introduction:
Teaching from Within
pp.1-8. Chapter 1: The Heart of a Teacher pp.9-33.
2. Eble, Kenneth E. The Craft of Teaching, 2d ed. Jossey-Bass, 1988.
Chapter 1 The Author's
Stance pp.3-10. Chapter 3 Getting Students to Think pp. 28-41.
3. Boice, Robert. First-Order Principles for College Teachers.
Anker, 1996. Introduction:Why
Fundamentals? pp. ix-xiv.
4. McKeachie, Wilbert J. Teaching Tips. Houghton Mifflin, 1999.
Chapter 1 Introduction pp.
5. Berk, Ronald A. Professors are from Mars, Students are
from Snickers. Mendota/Magna,
1998. Introduction pp. 1-4. Chapter 1 Why Use Humor? pp 5-10.
6. Glassick, Charles E., Huber, Mary Taylor and Maeroff, Gene
I. Scholarship Assessed.
Jossey-Bass, 1997. Chapter 1
Scholarship in Transition pp. 5-21.
7. Graff, Gerald. Beyond the Culture Wars: How teaching the conflicts
can revitalize American
education. W.W. Norton, 1992. Chapter 1, pp 3-15
8. Brookfield, Stephen D. The Skillful Teacher. Jossey-Bass,
1990. Chapter 2 Developing a
Personal Vision of Teaching pp. 15-28.
(The CTL gained permission to use these resources via an
on-line copyright permission obtaining service. We also had Kinko's Copies
price the packet. Financially, the on-line service worked best for us -- http://www.copyright.com/
You, may want to explore other avenues if you are looking to gain permission to use copyrighted materials. Our campus bookstore will work with you to obtain permission to use materials for the Custom Coursepack Production.
For more information on copyright, visit: The U.S.Copyright Office, Library of Congress: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/
What is and what is not protected by copyright: http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#wwp)
The Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Phone (270) 745-6508 -- Fax (270) 745-6145.
Location: 1783 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
Mailing Address: 1906 College Heights Blvd #11095, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1095.
Page created date: c2000; Last modified: June 2003.
Site created: July 1996. All contents © since 1996.
This page is in compliance with Section 508 and W3C Priority-I guidelines.
If you find it to be inaccessible, please contact the Webmaster with the URL.