Big Red Working in the Shop with Big Red Bikes
Big Red Bikes Workshop on One Planet Day 4.22.11
BRB Expansion Made Possible By The Paula Nye Memorial Education Grant from the Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeways Commission
Our Lil' Big Red Bikes at the Arbor Day Festival
- WKU Big Red Bikes seeks to make bicycling more accessible at WKU by providing free,
refurbished bicycles at no cost to WKU students, staff, and faculty.
- The bicycles can be checked-out for a period of one week and renewed (for a rental
period of 14 days at a time) from the Office of Sustainability located at 503 Regents
Avenue, beside Gary Ransdell Hall. Helmets and locks are also available. Bikes can be checked out and returned between the hours of 9:00 A.M.-1:00 P.M. Monday,
Wednesday, and Friday. 1:00 P.M.- 2:30 P.M. Tuesday and Thursday. Please bring your WKU ID.
To view the full rental agreement, click here.
- Big Red Bikes is a GreenToppers project and is housed by the Office of Sustainability and receives funding support from the Parents Advisory Council and Department of Parking and Transportation and the Outdoor Recreation and Activities Center.
- In 2011, Big Red Bikes received the Paula Nye Memorial Education Grant from the Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeways Commission with funds generated from the “Share
the Road” license plates, which allowed for significant upgrade to the mechanic shop
and expansion of the program. The grant was written by WKU Alum and past Big Red Bikes
Coordinator, Nick Asher.
- In 2013, Big Red Bikes received a second grant from the Paula Nye Memorial Education Fund from the Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeways Commision. Funds are generated from the "Share
the Road" licence plates. This grant will be used for expanding the mechanic shop,
getting awareness out about bicycling, and by adding two fix-it bike stations on campus.
The grant was written by WKU student and Big Red Bikes Coordinator, Madonna L. May.
- Big Red Bikes will be installing two fix-it bike stations this year. One will be
located at South Campus and another on the Main Campus. Stay posted for updates.
Big Red Bikes Coordinator is
Madonna Manco May.
Contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org