Department of Accounting
- Contact Information
- Accounting Staff
- Mission Statement
- Student Organizations
- Footnotes Newsletters
- Photo Gallery
Degrees & Programs
Why study Accounting?
An accounting major can lead to a successful career in many different areas of accounting and business. From the smallest start-up company to large international companies and governmental agencies, every organization requires the skills of accountants.
Why study Accounting at WKU?
Lots of reasons! Here are just a few:
- WKU Accounting graduates have one of the highest passage rates for the CPA Exam (for schools in Kentucky and surrounding areas with undergraduate accounting programs).
- The Department of Accounting and the Gordon Ford College of Business both are accredited by the AACSB – International. Of the 12,000 collegiate business schools world-wide, only 175 have been able to attain AASCB accreditation in both Business and Accounting.
- Through the new Professional Program in Accountancy (PPA), undergraduates can pursue both the Bachelor and Master (MAcc) degrees concurrently (WKU is the only university in Kentucky offering this path for students to obtain the 150 hours needed for the CPA certificate).
- The accounting programs at WKU focus on developing the communication, problem-solving, team building, and technical competencies necessary for a professional accounting career.
- All accounting courses are taught by full-time faculty. We do not use part-time faculty. All accounting faculty hold a professional certification (CPA, CMA, CGFM, CIA, CFE).
- All accounting faculty have relevant real-world experience. While the faculty are excellent classroom instructors, they are also engaging individuals who enjoy serving as professional mentors to our accounting students.
- Upper-level accounting classes have a very low faculty/student ratio.
- Many accounting students participate in the University's Honors program and/or take advantage of Study Abroad & Global Learning opportunities.
- Over 65% of senior accounting students have career-related experiences prior to graduation. WKU's Career Services Center and the Department of Accounting provide Academic and Career Orientation sessions designed specifically for accounting majors
- WKU is the only institution in the entire region to accept the High School "Pilot Project" Advanced Placement (AP) course and give students who successfully pass ( score a 3 or higher) the AP test 3hrs credit for our ACCT 200 course. WKU is among very few institutions in the U.S. offering this service to students!
The mission of the Department of Accounting at WKU is to be a leader in providing excellent accounting education and preparing students for successful and rewarding careers in accounting and business.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,