Wieb Van Der Meer
One of the missions of BISC is to engage students in research. Through the BISC Consultation Committee, students are mentored as they solve real world problems in bioinformatics and information science.
- Brady D. Garabato (MS student) - In October 2012, Brady gave an oral presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Kentucky Academy of Science, which was held at Eastern Kentucky University. Talk title and authors: Prediction of photoinduced electron transfer in lanthanide and d-blockhybrid systems, Brady Garabato and Jeremy B. Maddox
- Daulton Cockerell (Gatton Academy student): Creating and simplifying 2D embeddings of simulated DNA
- Sam Saarinen (Gatton Academy student): Theoretical and computational investigations of the effect of stiffness on the packing of DNA in confinement (such as viral capsids)
- Sindhu Veeramachaneni (graduate student): Computational investigations of effect of thickness on the packing of DNA in confinement (such as viral capsids)
- Mu He (graduate student): Theoretical and computational investigations of the average torsion in the packing of DNA in confinement (such as viral capsids)
- Sai Sindhuja Veeramachaneni - (Professor Uta Ziegler)
- Luke Miles - (Professor John All)
- Selahattin Cinar - (Professor Ferhan Atici)
- Ab Initio Prediction of Mycobacteriophage Protein Structure and Function. Chiraag D. Kapadiaand Claire A. Rinehart, UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit, March 23, 2013 Buchannan, Tennessee.
- Correlation of Geographical Distribution of Mycobacteriophages with Genomic Clusters and Genome Distance. Miranda L. Parrish and Claire A. Rinehart, UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit, March 23, 2013 Buchannan, Tennessee.
- Comparison of Codon Usage in Mycobacteriophages With and Without tRNAs in Their Genomes. Ethan S. Gill and Claire A. Rinehart, UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit, March 23, 2013 Buchannan, TN.
- Identification of Short DNA Repeats And Their Functions In Mycobacteriophages. Scotty W. Davis II and Claire A. Rinehart, WKU Student Research Conference, March 23, 2013, Bowling Green, KY. * Winner of Undergraduate Poster Session 16: Natural Sciences.
- Identifying The Transcriptional Start Site For the Repressor Gene In the Mycobacteriophage Backyardigan. George M. Jones and Claire A. Rinehart, WKU Student Research Conference, March 23, 2013, Bowling Green, KY.
- Zachary Bessinger (Qi Li), a talk titled ''An Automatic Framework for Embryonic Localization Using Edges in a Scale Space" at the 43rd WKU Annual Student Research Conference on March 23, 2013.
- Ahmed Alsalama (Qi Li), a talk titled ''A Hybrid Recommendation System Framework Using Association Rules'' at the 43rd WKU Annual Student Research Conference on March 23, 2013.
- Brady Garabato (Jeremy Maddox), a talk titled "Theoretical pre-design of optically active rare-earth polyoxometalate systems," at the 42nd Annual WKU Student Research Conference, March 24, 2012.
Mississippi Valley State University is pleased announce its 2013 Bioinformatics Summer Institute. This program is designed to give aspiring scientists an opportunity to explore the field of bioinformatics through the integration of mathematics, computer sciences and biology/chemistry.
The Bioinformatics Summer Institute (BSI) Scholars will be exposed to hands-on computational experiences lead by faculty members of The Bioinformatics Program. Participants will be engaged in topics ranging from scientific ethics to the use of medical data; listening to and conversing with leading scientists in the field; preparing for the GRE; annotating microbial genomes; mining data and learning to use various online resources for research.
Graduate Assistantship Awards
Posters by BISC Students
Presentations by BISC Students
Student Research Opportunities
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,