- Program Info
- Program Progression & Forms
- Student Directory
- Student Resources
- Program Outcomes
- Picture Gallery
Intended candidates for the degree are individuals who have completed at least a master's degree (or other appropriate graduate degree), have demonstrated leadership capacity within their organizational settings, and/or are committed to enhancing their abilities to learn and to enhance the educational missions of their organizations and communities.
Program admission is based on a holistic evaluation of the candidate's application file, which must include:
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- Documentation of a master's degree (or other graduate degree) from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation organization
- Completed application
- Current (within 1 year of application deadline) resume or vita
- An in-depth personal statement including qualifications, rationale, and goals related to pursuing the WKU Ed.D. program
- Three current (within 1 year of application deadline) letters of recommendation from persons in a position to evaluate the applicant's potential for success in a doctoral program
- GRE scores*
- Submission of a writing sample if applicants took the GRE without the Analytic Writing portion
*Note: Official scores are required. GRE scores must include the Analytical Writing portion or the applicant must complete a writing sample. The WKU office of Graduate Studies has established minimum GRE scores for WKU doctoral programs. For the new GRE, these are 145 on the Verbal, 145 on the Quantitative sections of the exam, and a Writing score of 4.0. Please see 'Admissions Requirements' in the WKU Graduate Catalog for additional information about the GRE (and GAP).
Note about Graduate Assistantships: Although this program is designed for working professionals, there are a limited number of competitive GA scholarships for students seeking to enroll full-time. We are currently seeking persons who have strong research and/or P-12 backgrounds for these positions. For information, please click here. Applicants who desire to be considered for these positions should indicate this in their Personal Statement,as part of their application.
International students are encouraged to apply and must submit the following additional documents for admission consideration:
- Evidence of ability to communicate in English (as evidenced by a minimum of 570 on the paper based TOEFL, a minimum of 88 on the iBT TOEFL, or a minimum of 7.0 on the IELTS)
- Evidence of adequate financial resources
To apply for the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program, click here.
Please note: For Fall cohort admission, the application deadline is April 1. For Spring cohort admission, the application deadline is October 1.
The tuition rate for the program is based on WKU graduate tuition rates. Additionally there is a course fee per credit hour for students in the program. The current course fee is $1,200 per semester for 5 or more hours, $600 for less than 5 hours. This program fee is constant for each class (cohort) admitted. For additional information about these fees, please contact the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program at (270) 745-3061.
Potential financial resources include:
- Student loans
- Tuition waiver for credits obtained by P-12 teachers providing supervision of student teachers/interns
- Tuition credit waivers for state employees
- Employer/district matching contracts and/or professional development funds
- Contracted organizational incentive discounts
- Personal funds
- Graduate Student Research Grants