Summer Language Programs
The WKU Chinese Language Flagship Program, and the WKU Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning must approve all summer language programs in order for students to receive credit or funding. Not all programs are eligible for Flagship funding, and approved programs are subject to change based on an annual review of programs.
Students may apply for Flagship funding for one domestic summer intensive Chinese program, one international summer intensive program, and the Capstone Year. Funding decisions are based on a combination of merit and availability of funds. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for university and external scholarships to cover any and all expenses associated with a program abroad, especially those who are not eligible for Flagship funding. For assistance with the scholarship application process, all students should work with staff in the Office of Scholar Development.
To be eligible for Flagship summer funding, students must be in good standing in the Chinese Flagship program, the Honors College at WKU, and have reached the Intermediate-Low level of proficiency for Domestic programs, and Intermediate-Mid for International programs. Applications for Flagship funding are found on the Chinese Flagship Program Blackboard page.
- International Programs Approved by Flagship for Funding:
- Associated Colleges in China, Advanced level students: (February 25 Application Deadline) June 13- August 1
- IUP-Inter-University Program for Chinese, Intermediate and higher (Rolling Admission until January 30) Tentative dates: Mid-June to Early August
- ICLP—Taiwan (January 17 Application Deadline) Dates: June 6-8 to August 15
- Princeton in Beijing (January 31 Application Deadline) Dates: June 20-August 15
- CIEE-Shanghai Intensive Language, ONLY CIEE program approved (March 15 deadline) Dates: June 22- August 17
NOTE: All CIEE programs in China have scholarships available through CIEE (April 1 Scholarship Deadline).
- Harvard Academy (January 30 Application Deadline) Dates: June 7-August 9
- University of Oregon in Harbin (February 1 Application Deadline) Dates: June 26- August 22
- Domestic Programs Approved by Flagship for Funding:
- Indiana Flagship Institute (February 1 Application Deadline) Dates: June 6- August 1st
- Additional Programs NOT Reviewed and Approved for Funding by Flagship:
Winter in China
Dr. Jianjun He and Dr. Paul Fischer will lead 20 students to Xi'an China for a 3 1/2 week winter program in January 2014. The winter program will be repeated annually depending on availability of faculty and student interest.
Capstone Year in China
- Timing of the Capstone Year is determined by each student’s language proficiency and academic major
- All students graduating in this program will spend a semester of study at Nanjing University
- Immediately following the semester in Nanjing, scholars complete professional internships at various locations in China
- Flagship students in good standing with the WKU Honors College and the WKU Chinese Language Flagship Program will receive funding for the Capstone Year. Additional scholarships are available to support the Capstone Year, including the Boren Scholarship.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,