2014 Confucius Institute China Summer Program Opportunities
2014 Summer Bridge Camp
The dates for the Summer Bridge Program have officially been published. The calendar of events are as follows:
7/16 - Depart the U.S.
7/17 - Arrive in Beijing and attend the "Opening Ceremony"
7/18 - 8/1 - Over 800 U.S. High school student will arrive and be broken up into subgroups who will travel and visit ONE of the following sites:
1. Shandong, Zhejiang Province
2. Jilin, Yunnan Province
3. Tianjin, Hunan Province
4. Luoyang, Henan Province
7/26 - Return to Beijing and do sightseeing (Great Wall, Tian'amen Square, etc.)
7/31 - More activities and "Closing Ceremony"
8/1 - Depart Beijing for the U.S.
During the camp the students will be engaged in many activities. See below for the breakdown of activities:
1. Chinese Classes (20%)
In-class Chinese language and culture classes. Students will be broken into groups based on language proficiency to ensure that they are adding to their body of knowledge.
2. Experience research activities around camp theme (40%)
Expose the students to the local culture, themes, and other various forms of research activities.
3. Cultural exchange activities (20%)
Visit local high schools, verbal discussions and interactions with their Chinese peers; visit a Chinese family for one day, and other cultural activities with their Chinese peers.
4. Sightseeing (20%)
Visit both local sites and major sites in Beijing, including but not limited to the Longmen Grottes, Great Wall, Famous Shaolin Monastery, and many more.
The costs for the trip are as follows:
Airfare to and from China (Leaving from Nashville International Airport) = $2,200.00
Visa Cost = $240.00
International Health Insurance = $40
All other expenses while in China will be covered by the Confucius Institute at WKU, with the exception of spending money, or individual excursions.
Requirements (Everything is Due March 11, 2014):
- Must be a high school student between 9 - 12th Grades (Must have completed the 9th grade. You are not eligible, if you are going into the 9th grade during the upcoming school year.)
- Signed and dated CI contract (Click to open the editable form)
- Signed and dated Hanban application form (Click to open the editable form)
- China Visa Application (Click to open the editable form)
- Physical Passport (the passport must be valid for at least six (6) months after return date)
- If the student is under 18 years of age, I will need to a color copy of both the parents or guardians ID's (can be in the form of color copies of birth certificates, state issued ID, passports, etc.).
- Maximum of 250 word essay of why you want to visit China
- Letter of reference from any ONE teacher within your school
- Two, 2" X 2" passport style photos (white background). These can be taken at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Post Office or FedEx Kinkos
These materials can be submitted via email (scanned copies), faxed (270-745-2221), hand delivered, or mailed, but must be submitted to me no later than Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,