Want More Information?
Fill out our quick inquiry and a helpful representative will contact you.Request More Information
Contacts: Adam Davis
Academic Outreach Specialist
Contact: Gary Houchens
Dept. of Educational Administration, Leadership & Research
Principal Certification Program
The Principal Certification Program requires a total of 30 hours (Level I and Level II). Students must also pass the Kentucky Principal Specialty Test and the School Leaders Licensure Assessment test for Provisional Certification.
Co-requisite Courses: (9 hours)
All students must complete nine credit hours of specific co-requisite classes to be eligible for Level I certification. These courses are not required prior to enrolling in the core courses.
• EDAD 588: Allocation and Use of Resources
• EDAD 677: Legal Issues for Professional Educators
• EDAD 684: Instructional Leadership
Level I: (Principal Certification)
Initial certification is considered "Level I" and makes students eligible to immediately apply for jobs as school administrators. Level I requires a minimum of 18 credit hours, which enables students to obtain a Provisional Certificate.
Level I Courses: (18 hours)
These courses must be taken sequentially, two courses each term (Fall, Spring, Fall or Spring, Fall, Spring). Fieldwork consistent with the role of the school principal is required in each course.
The program is structured in a cohort format enrolling a maximum of 25 students per
• EDAD 640: Introduction to School Leadership
• EDAD 641: Building Culture and Community
• EDAD 642: Leveraging Community Systems and Resources
• EDAD 643: Securing and Developing Staff
• EDAD 644: Creating Organizational Structures and Operations
• EDAD 645: Practicing the Principalship
Level II certification serves as initial principal certification renewal and must be completed within five years of the completion of Level I. Level II certification requires an additional 12 hours, which enables students to satisfy Rank I requirements and obtain a Professional Certificate. Upon completion of Level II, students may file for a rank change.
Level II Courses: (12 hours)
• EDAD 694: Seminar in Education Administration (6 hours)
• Advisor approved electives (6 hours)
The combined Level I and Level II coursework may be used for Rank I status for teachers who have not achieved Rank I already (60 hours of relevant programs beyond the bachelor's degree).
Program guidelines are provided in advance, and students must have a signed program contract on file.