The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs offers a MAE in Counseling. Included in this degree option are two concentrations students may choose for their programs of study to their primary areas of interest:
In addition to coursework, students will be required to take comprehensive exams. In addition, these concentrations qualify graduates for certification as a National Certified Counselor (NCC) by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). Learn more about graduation, comprehensive exams, and counselor certification.
Our counseling programs provide graduates the credentials necessary to acquire a Licensed Professional Counselor Associate (LPCA) designation from the Kentucky Board of Licensed Professional Counselors immediately after graduation. This credential is a necessary step toward obtaining licensure as Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) in the state of Kentucky. Learn more about state licensure and related resources.
- View the program and campus orientation guide for an introduction to the department, campus, and community.
- What is counseling?
- The counseling program journey: a reflection from a graduating student.
- 12 things you should know about professional counselors (American Counseling Association graphic)
- U.S. News & World Report recently ranked mental health counseling in its "100 Best Jobs" list.
- View the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment statistics for mental health counseling.
- The MentalHealth.gov website can provide statistics on mental health in the U.S.
- Learn the differences between counseling and other professions.
- Check out several funding opportunities to help you pay for graduate school.
- Visit our Counseling Job Opportunities or Practicum & Internship pages to learn more about counseling employment opportunities.
- In the spring, we will host an Internship & Job Fair for volunteer, internship, and job opportunities.
- Ready to graduate? Learn more about graduation, comprehensive exams, and counselor certification.
- Learn more about state licensure as a LPCA/LPCC and MFTA/LMFT.
- Program and campus orientation
- What is counseling?
- Counseling program journey
- MentalHealth.gov: statistics on mental health in the U.S.
- How does counseling differ from other professions?
- Funding opportunities
- Counseling Job Opportunities
- Practicum & Internship
- Internship & Job Fair (spring only)
- Graduation, comps, and certification.
- State licensure
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,