Mission Statement for the Department of Economics
The primary mission of the economics program is to offer educational opportunities to students in order to prepare them to become accomplished citizens and professionals capable of critical thinking and independent analysis. The economics faculty places an emphasis on excellence in teaching through continuous professional development in instruction, as well as, in applied and theoretical economic research. The department also recognizes the importance of conducting professionally relevant service activities for the university, the public, and private constituents at the local, state and national levels.
Economics is an integral part of a well-rounded liberal arts education because the study of economics provides an antecedent to ethical judgments, to the assessment of the full range of both past and present public policies, and to the understanding of other economies and cultures. Economics is a versatile, multifaceted subject which includes global dimensions that are of increasing importance in today’s diverse society.
The program also recognizes the importance of economic science in the preparation of a wide variety of professionals including those in business, law, journalism, banking, government, and academia. The faculty also acknowledges the importance of communication and technical skills in the development of well-rounded students. Economics courses require the application of the appropriate verbal and writing skills which are crucial complements to analytical skills. The economics curriculum and course offerings are designed to highlight and illustrate the practical importance of a knowledge of economics in understanding today’s local, national, and global issues.
The Department of Economics
- Emphasizes excellent teaching
- Keeps class sizes small and personal
- Employs the latest technology in many classes
- Supports the WKU Economics Club and Omicron Delta Epsilon, the economics honor society
- Demonstrates competency through continuous professional development and research
- Holds the top ranking in research among regional universities in the state
- Offers the C. Keith Davis Memorial Scholarship, Kenneth and Maria Cann Scholarship, and several N.O. Taff Scholarships
- Encourages student research with an annual "Best Paper in Economics” award
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,