- KRS (About Us)
- KRS (Contact Us)
- Back to CHHS Home
- CHHS Student Research Award
- Academic Center for Excellence
- Academic Advising and Retention Center
WKU Information for:
EXS 296 - Practicum in Exercise Science
EXS 496 - Internship
Click HERE if you would like a PDF copy of the Practicum and Internship instructions
As a part of the Exercise Science curriculum, you will complete EXS 296 (Practicum) and EXS 496 (Internship). These are required to give you practical experience in various job settings related to the field of Exercise Science. Students should select site(s) which will allow them to develop and enhance skills required in settings in which they are interested. Also, students should view the practicum/internship experience as the opportunity to determine if the experience at the specific site might represent a desirable career route.
EXS 296 is a 3 credit-hour course, which requires you to complete 150 contact hours at the site where you are working. You need to complete EXS 296 before your junior year.
EXS 496 should be taken your final semester, or at least after you have taken EXS 296 and EXS 412. EXS 496 is a 6 credit-hour course that requires you to complete 300 contact hours at a site of your choice. EXS 496 is a culminating practical experience you will have before you graduate. You may do your internship at the facility where you completed your practicum experience, or you may choose an entirely new site.
Steps to take for EXS 296 and EXS 496:
1. You will have to find a site that will be able to accommodate you for the hours that you need. You are responsible for making arrangements to obtain your practicum/internship site.
2. The site will then have to be approved by the faculty supervisor.
3. You will have to get liability insurance and have it sent to the faculty supervisor. Directions are located below. (You are required to have the insurance before you are signed into the course and before you start the practicum/internship hours)
4. You will have the course restriction removed once proof of insurance is received and you will be able to enroll in the course or the faculty supervisor will sign you into the course.
5. You may have to provide proof of up to date immunizations or get the appropriate immunizations prior to starting your practicum or internship hours. Check with your practicum/internship site before starting your hours.
6. Provide the faculty supervisor with the contact information for your practicum/internship on-site supervisor. (Name, e-mail, phone, and address)
7. Now you are ready to begin completing your hours. You will be evaluated by your on-site supervisor and your faculty supervisor. Your on-site supervisor will be provided with an online evaluation form which they will return to the faculty supervisor toward the end of your practicum.
8. During your practicum/internship hours, dress like a professional, be professional, be ready and willing to learn, learn as much as you can about your field, and make a good impression.
9. Follow the instructions for the course syllabus for creating the Blackboard portfolio. The faculty supervisor will send you the syllabus prior to the start of the course.
You may find a facility of your choice or you can refer to the list of locations on the Microsoft Excel document (Practicum Location and Contact List.xls) to get ideas. Ask your advisor or the faculty supervisor for the list if you need one. All practicum sites must be approved by the faculty supervisor. EXS 296 or EXS 496 may be taken during the Fall or Spring semesters. EXS 296 and EXS 496 may also be taken during the summer. The facility you choose me be local (Bowling Green) or you may choose a facility closer to home if you take your hours over the summer.
Student Evaluation: Each student completing PE 296/496 will be evaluated by the supervising faculty member based on a). written and verbal evaluations from the supervisor at the practicum site and b). a portfolio outlining and describing activities and projects during the practicum experience. You will receive a syllabus from the faculty supervisor that will give you specific instructions regarding your BlackBoard portfolio and the due dates.
The directions for obtaining insurance for EXS 296 and EXS 496.
1. To obtain this insurance, go to www.hpso.com and click "Apply Now" at the top of the page. The click "Professional Liability Insurance Quick Quote." For question #1 enter the appropriate information; for question #2 enter "Exercise Physiologist"; for question #3 enter "No"; and for question #4 enter "Student." Click continue, and on the next page click “Online Application.” (Applying on-line in much quicker than applying through the regular mail.)
2. The rest of the form is self-explanatory. The insurance will cost approximately $35 - $45 and it is good for 12 months.
3. Towards the end of the form, you will see an option that says “Sign me up for HPSO e-Billing.” Under that, click YES. That will allow HPSO to email you the copy of your insurance confirmation once it is processed. Under that, where it says “Would you like to receive confirmation by fax?” click NO.
4. After that, you will see where to enter your credit card information.
5. Once you receive your insurance confirmation via email from HPSO, forward it IMMEDIATELY to Dr. Lyons at email@example.com. Once he receives your confirmation, you can be added to the practicum/internship course.
Obtaining your insurance confirmation via email rather than by fax, and forwarding it to Dr. Lyons, makes this a paperless process, and much easier for us to manage.