For the safety and peace of mind of everyone involved, WKU has in place several policies that guide the administration of FLSA programs.
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad Policy Manual (revised October 2011)
- WKU Faculty Handbook
- 1.2150 - Short-term, Faculty-Led Study Abroad Compensation for Summer and Winter Sessions
- 1.2120 - Summer Sessions and Winter Term Compensation and Distribution
- 1.4061 - Course Syllabi
- 1.4033 - Engagement Requirements for Hour of Credit
- 0.2040 - Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- 3.1012 - Travel Expense & Reimbursement Policy
- 3.7011 - Policy for Use of Vehicles Insured by the University
- WKU Code of Student Conduct
- Study Abroad /Off-Campus Academic Activities Statement (pdf)
Academic Affairs polices are found here.
FERPA AND COMMUNICATION WITH PARENTS/GUARDIANS
The PLs should make themselves aware of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). While certain academic and personal protections exist within the FERPA guidelines, the PLs may exercise discretion on reporting matters to a participant's emergency contact. The basic definition is that if a student creates a situation that puts an individual student or the people around the student at risk, then FERPA does not apply. If the matter is an academic issue, where there is no physical risk, then FERPA does apply.
Further information may be obtained at the following site: http://www.wku.edu/registrar/ferpa.php
The full text of the legislation is available here.
INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL INSURANCE
WKU has contracted with Academic Health Plans to offer students and faculty who go abroad supplemental medical insurance. This insurance covers you only for the time you are outside of the US and is not meant to replace your normal insurance.
This insurance is included in all programs for both students and employees, and provides access to Academic Emergency Services. This service include elements not part of standard US medical insurance such as emergency evacuation and transportation, translation for local medical needs, local prescription fulfillment, etc.
To learn more click on here. (https://www.academichealthplans.com/wku/2011-2012/globalAssistance.php)
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,