A Hybrid Study Abroad Program:
Live, Study and Work in Brussels
Spend seven weeks examining Islam and Citizenship in Europe and interning with an
About the Program
Many European countries have large Muslim populations and Belgium is no exception. Mainly from Turkey and Morocco, Muslims in Belgium are faced with the core issue that all immigrant groups face—how to integrate and maintain their cultural and political identity. As such, Brussels, which is almost a quarter Muslim, serves as an ideal location for a course on Islam and politics. One of the key features of the program is that the Islam and Citizenship course is open to any Vesalius College student as well as other study abroad students. Ultimately, WKU students will study alongside European and American students. This diversity provides an environment for students to learn more about the politics and culture of the region.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Students study Islam and Citizenship first-hand in Europe
- Students have the opportunity to internship in Brussels, home to the European Union, NATO Command, thousands of NGOs, IGOs & MNCs
- Students will learn local culture and customs through homestay experiences
- Live, study and work in the "Capital of Europe," for 7 weeks (May 25 – July 12)
- Brussels is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in Europe and is centrally located in Europe
- Earn 6 hours credit
- Take "Islam and Citizenship in Europe" AND Intern at an international organization or company OR
- Take a second course from: French, Business, Communications, International Relations
- Do not have to be a Political Science or Sociology major, classes can work towards your major or as electives
- Homestay with a Belgian family
- Take classes with European and other American students at a European College
- Travel to Amsterdam, visit mosques and Islamic cultural centers, NATO headquarters, the EU, Parliamentarium, Antwerp, Brugges, and other excursions.
- Up to 3-4 free days per week to travel to destinations of your choice in Europe and beyond.
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Permission of instructor(s).
- Current WKU student eligible to register for summer session course.
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (Parental/legal guardian expressed consent required for those under 18 at time of departure).
- Eligible to obtain a visa for destination and through all transit points (if needed) as determined by US DOS and host country.
- Possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date.
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Full payment (or signed payment agreement) prior to departure
- Completion of all pre-departure orientation.
- Complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning application process on TopNet prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly.
- Includes: tuition, round-trip airfare, accommodations, some meals, some excursions, class trip to Amsterdam, and medical insurance.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to the U.S. departure airport /return from airport to your home, personal spending money and personal travel while in Europe.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- The course includes a group flight that originates and returns to Nashville.
- Stuidents may opt to arrange their own flight. See estimate costs.
- Independent travel (before and/or after the programs start and end date) is permitted with prior notification to Program Leaders. There may be medical insurance issues to deal with, as well as changes to the airline reservations (with possible additional cost to participant), so advanced notice is required.
- Vesalius College: http://www.vesalius.edu/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE_zeV1LX0
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- WKU student testimonial below:
- Link here for WKU WorldTopper Scholarship and other funding options
- Students must take 6 hours
- PS 450 – OR - SOCL 489
- Students must select one other course – typically, an internship, PS 403 or SOC 439
- Dr. Soleiman Kiasatpour
- Jerry Daday
- Brussels, Belgium
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Summer 2013
May 25 - July 12
- $4,850 (without airfare)
- $6,300 (with airfare)
- Check out funding sources
- Syllabus (coming soon)
- Right now! Start your Application
- $250 deposit paid with completed application
|May 25||Depart from Nashville for Brussels *|
|July 12||Return from Brussels to Nashville|
|July 23||Post-program assessment|
* subject to change