Introduction to Education-International
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Experience an international perspective of teacher ethics, career awareness, student diversity, and curriculum in Costa Rica.
Learn more about this program: http://animoto.com/play/vynX6zRDQffhPpBJb6O22Q
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Appreciate that classrooms, teachers, and schools are all unique settings
- Demonstrate knowledge of planning, teaching and assessment of student learning by providing evidence for Teacher Standards
- Develop the ability to read, write, and think critically about educational topics
- Demonstrate knowledge of current international educational issues and trends, background and history, and legal and financial considerations pertinent to choosing a career in education.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the various tools and technologies for organizing, analyzing, and interpreting information
- Develop a philosophy of education that reflects current understandings of educational theories and practices Acquire knowledge of schools that will help them be more informed citizens
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Permission of instructor(s)
- Students must attend a Teacher Admissions Orientation Meeting in the semester prior to program date
- Current WKU student eligible to register for summer session course
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (Parental/legal guardian expressed consent required for those under 18 at time of departure)
- Eligible to obtain a visa for destination and through all transit points (if needed) as determined by US DOS and host country
- Possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs
- Full payment (or signed payment agreement) prior to departure
- Completion of all pre-departure orientation
- At least 15 hours of documented classroom observation (will take place in host country).
- The course includes a group flight that originates and returns to Nashville. Deviations from group flight are not allowed.
- All classes in the WKU education program require students to have a physical, criminal check, and TB test. These documents must be on file in Teacher Services before leaving the country.
- This course will involve some walking and a humid climate. Bring proper shoes and clothing.
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition ($1,062 estimated value), round-trip airfare, accommodations, all meals in country, all group excursions, and medical insurance.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to Nashville airport /return from Nashville to your home, and personal spending money.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
$250 deposit paid with Study Abroad application
Remaining balance due
Depart for Costa Rica
Return from Costa Rica
* subject to change
Itinerary - Tentative
On campus class
Depart Nashville for Costa Rica. Meet host families.
On site tasks. Spanish Class. Change money at bank. Coffee Brit (Lunch included)
On site tasks. Spanish Class. Lunch on your own in San Jose center. Gold Museum.
On site tasks. Spanish Class. Lunch on own in Cartago. Irazu Volcano/ Lancaster. Gardens
On site tasks. Spanish Class. Braulo Aerial Tram.
On site tasks. Spanish Class. Dance class
Hot spring/volcano visit. Lunch and Dinner included.
Optional Church experience/Time with Families
Station teaching. FDR School field experience. Field Journal Work
On site tasks. Station teaching. San Lorenzo field experience
Best of the Pacific. Breakfast and lunch included
Depart Costa Rica for Nashville.
- Link here for WKU WorldTopper Scholarship and other funding options
- EDU 250
- Dr. Rebecca Stobaugh, Assistant Professor
School of Teacher Education
- Patricia Bertke
School of Teacher Education
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Summer 2013
- $2,300 - $2,600
- Check out funding sources.
- Right now! Start your Application
- $250 deposit paid with completed application