Learn fundamentals of Smartphone filmmaking with the picturesque backdrop of Japan.
Open to all majors. No prerequisites.
Two weeks in Japan including airfare, lodging and WKU tuition.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
This program will provide students a digital filmmaking opportunity in a cross-cultural where students from WKU and Japan will share technical and aesthetic perspectives.
- Students in this unique program will be immersed in the rapidly changing world of digital technology as an art-making tool.
- They will especially take advantage of the opportunity to explore the Smartphone filmmaking fast becoming an option for video/filmmakers.
- Students will learn the entire process from onsite camera operation to editing and output as they shoot their short films in this medium.
- Active hands-on-learning experiences, intense engagement with the instructor and peers, and development of critical thinking skills directed toward the future of digital art will prepare the students for thriving multifaceted careers within the dynamic global society.
- Students work in three to four person crews to complete each film. When their colleagues direct, students rotate among the key crew positions.
*This is open to all majors – No prerequisites or production experience required.
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses.
- 3.2 cumulative GPA or good standing in the Honors College (honors sections only)
- Permission of instructor(s).
- Good academic standing (Undergraduate Catalog p.27; Graduate Catalog p.30).
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- Possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after FLSA return date.
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Full payment prior to departure.
- Completion of all pre-departure orientation.
- Complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning application process on TopNet prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly.
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition ($1,062 estimated value), round-trip airfare, accommodations, all group excursions, and medical insurance. The course includes a group flight that originates and returns to Nashville.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to the U.S. departure airport /return from airport to your home, and personal spending money.
- A Smartphone (preferably iPhone) or potable digital camcorder (HD) is recommended.
- Students are also required to provide their own sketchbook, removable USB Flash Drive or portable hard drive, and create a YouTube or Vimeo account.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- International travel requires all participants to have a valid passport. If you don't have a passport, get one immediately.
- This program will require student to spend some time independently exploring Tokyo, Japan. Students should be prepared to conduct themselves in a mature and respectful manner at all times.
- This program will also include a fair amount of walking in a metropolitan area. Proper shoes and attire are required.
- Independent travel (separate from the group) will be closely monitored and may require instructor's permission.
- The course includes a group flight that originates and returns to Nashville.
- DELO Faculty-led Study Abroad Award
- Honors Travel Abroad Grant (up to $500) (as appropriate)
- WKU Worldtopper Scholarship (apply on topnet)
- Check with your major department for additional available scholarships
You should contact Student Financial Assistance to determine your funding options if needed. You will need to provide the course number, name, your name and 800#, and the course fee as stated above, in the email you send to financial aid.
|May 10||Course overview & Smartphone Filmmaking workshop|
|May 15||Depart Nashville|
|May 16||Arrive in Tokyo|
|May 17||Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Roppongi, Tokyo Tower, Zojoji Temple|
|May 18||Giza, Imperial Palace, Asakusa, Tokyo National Museum, Yoyogi Park|
|May 19||Ikebukuro, Ueno, Edo Tokyo Museum, Sumo Wrestling Museum|
|May 20||NHK Broadcasting, Sony Building in Ginza|
|May 21||Harajuku, Anime Museum|
|May 22- 26||Shooting|
|May 27- 28||Editing|
|May 29||Finish Final Project|
|May 30||Release Time|
|May 31||Return to Nashville|
* subject to change
- Art 490
- Art 490 Honors
- Tokyo and Osaka, Japan
- Summer 2013
May 15 - May 31
- $3,899 - $4,199
- Right now! Start your Application
- $250 deposit paid with completed application
Key Dates (subject to change)
- March 8 - Priority deadline.
Apply to hold your spot.
- March 22 – Final Application Deadline.
- May 8 - Final payment due on TopNet
- May 10 - Class meeting.
- May 15 – Depart for Tokyo
- May 31 - Return from Japan
- June 31 - Post-program assessment (online)