Harlaxton Gatehouse Rental Information
"WKU in England" at Harlaxton College
WKU faculty, alumni, staff, friends, and parents of our scholars may rent the renovated and fully furnished “WKU in England” Gatehouse at Harlaxton Manor at very favorable rate. Built in 1835, this historic and comfortable flat may be rented on a short or long-term basis for sabbaticals, research trips, or personal travel. You will find the Gatehouse both a beautiful place for relaxation and contemplation, as well an exciting base for adventures throughout the United Kingdom.
“There is tremendous natural beauty surrounding the Gatehouse, and it provides a quiet, peaceful environment for long periods of thinking, reading, and writing. I truly believe that my experience here was transformative to myself and my work in many ways.”
--Dr. Edward Yager, WKU Professor of Political Science, who stayed at the Gatehouse during a semester sabbatical.
The flat can accommodate up to four people and contains:
- a full kitchen/dining area, suitable for preparing meals
- bedroom with double bed
- full bathroom
- Wi-Fi access
- private clothes washer and dryer
- top-floor living room with writing desk and double bed sleeper sofa.
- private outdoor terrace
- views overlooking the Manor and surrounding fields
- Meals can be taken in the College Refectory by prior arrangement. Enquire at Main Reception when you check-in.
Participate in the life of Harlaxton College
While residing at the “WKU in England” Gatehouse, you have access to a very useful small-college library, computer resource facilities, the Sports Hall fitness center, university classes, the Senior Common Room (a kind of faculty club room, elegantly book-lined and very conducive to writing and study), as well as participation in college events such as lectures, concerts, and cultural programs.
Comfort and Quality
Residents can have the rare and very satisfying experience of living in the beautiful and classic Harlaxton Village with the ancient market town of Grantham (home of Sir Isaac Newton and Lady Margaret Thatcher) just three miles away. The small college pub, "The Bistro," is available in the main manor house and an upscale gastropub, "The Gregory", is within easy walking distance up the lane, just outside of the main gates.
Residents of the “WKU in England” Gatehouse have the unique combination of pastoral quiet for serious work or relaxation, with the resources and excitement of the United Kingdom and Europe only a very short jaunt away.
- the gatehouse is just over one hour by train from London and its universities and libraries, including the British Library and the University of London
- Grantham provides a rail and bus hub for all of Britain and Europe, and Nottingham East Midlands Airport is just an hour away.
- In addition, the Gatehouse is just thirty miles from the University of Leicester, forty miles from the University of Nottingham, forty from the University of Lincoln, seventy-five from Cambridge, and eighty-five from Oxford.
- Good bus service is at the end of the lane at Gregory Pub, taking you wherever you need to go.
Occupants are expected to keep the apartment clean and tidy while in use and, at the end of the letting, leave the apartment generally clean and tidy. For those that would prefer to 'contract out' this responsibility, a cleaning service is available at an additional charge.
Basic Cleaning Service - £40 for a one time clean.
- General Information
The Gatehouse is not a hotel, it is an historic structure. During your stay there will not be maid service as one might expect in a hotel, and you are asked to leave the flat in the same condition you found it. The Gatehouse is an excellent opportunity to experience Harlaxton and the English countryside independently, while still having the support of Harlaxton College. The Gatehouse is not ADA accessible and includes steep and narrow stairways.
When to Visit
- Harlaxton strongly suggests that you visit the Harlaxton website and check the academic calendar to better understand your scholar’s academic, travel, and exam schedules.
- Harlaxton College Curricula & Calendars
- A seven-day limit will apply when the visitor is a guest or a family member of a student. This policy is to permit students to focus on their studies without the task of becoming hosts and tour guides.
- Guests will normally not be accommodated during final examinations. Some exceptions (at the discretion of the Principal) may be made when the guest is not related to or connected with a student.
- Guests will not be accommodated during the first week of a semester/term. Some exceptions (at the discretion of the Principal) may be made when the guest is not related to or connected with a student.
The standard check-in time is 2:00 pm and check-out is 10:00 am, however there is some flexibility. Main Reception is open 24 hours a day. Upon arrival, guests are asked to make their way to the Pegasus Courtyard. As you approach the Manor, turn left towards ‘Goods In’. The Reception area is clearly marked and guests need to park, walk up the ramp, and press the buzzer to gain entry.
At Main Reception you will receive the key to the Gatehouse and some basic information about Harlaxton policies and procedure, including how to pay for meals taken in the Refectory. The Gatehouse key is quite large and weighs almost a pound. You may want to drop it off at Main Reception when you go out!
All local taxi firms know where to drop guests. Harlaxton recommends using Street Cars Taxi phone number 01476 590008. Street Cars Taxi provides a discount for trips from the Grantham train station to Harlaxton. You can call them from the train and they will be waiting for you.
You should ask the taxi driver to wait while you collect their keys, as the Gatehouse is half a mile down the drive.
Kitchen & Appliances
The kitchen has a basic complement of dishes and cooking utensils, as well as some basic provisions. The kitchen includes a coffee maker, electric kettle, stove, oven, and refrigerator. There is a trash bin outside the flat that is emptied regularly. There is a Washer/Dryer in the flat. Detergent is not provided by Harlaxton, however there is usually some left from previous occupants. The flat is equipped with an iron and an ironing board. A hairdryer is provided.
Towels & Linen
Towels and all linens are provided. A spare set of bed linen in kept in the flat. Guests have responsibility for laundering their own towels during their stay. Towels are not exchanged as they would be in a hotel.
Wood stove and outdoor chiminea
Please enquire at Main Reception if you are unsure how to operate these safely. Never leave a fire unattended. A supply of logs is available in the basement of the flat.
English electricity is 230 volt (double what we use in the United States) and they use a plug and outlet system (Type G) different from what we use in the United States.
Many laptop and phone chargers can handle both US and European voltages, so check the fine print on your equipment. It should say something like Input: 100-240V.
If your electronics are dual voltage, you can just use an adapter plug. You can find them online and they are are sold at Main Reception and in the Harlaxton Boutique.
Many appliances, such as hairdryers, electric shavers, and clocks are not dual voltage and will be destroyed if you plug them in without a transformer (and a hairdryer will destroy most transformers). There is a 230-volt compatible hairdryer provided in the bathroom.
For more information and to check availability, please contact:
The Honors College at WKU
Rate:$185 per night
*Faculty Sabbatical or research/writing rates available.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,