Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Apply for WKU Housing

Apply for Housing at WKU

WKU Housing & Residence Life

Western Kentucky University Housing is "more than just a place to live" during your WKU experience!

The Department of Housing and Residence Life currently provides 15 recently renovated residence halls with a wide range of options for a premier living/learning experience that promotes student success.

Explore our Residence Halls

Priority Deadline for Housing Applications is March 31

We accept housing applications all year long. Apply before March 31st to have the best chance of receiving your top preferences you list on your application. 

You do not need to wait to be admitted to WKU or attend an ATP to apply for housing. Since room assignments are made based on the date we receive your application, the sooner you apply, the better your chances of getting the preferences you requested.

If you apply by March 31, your fall housing assignment will be available on your Topnet account in mid-June (date subject to change). You will receive an email when your assignment is ready to view.

Learn about the Room Assignment Process

Required Housing Policy

Freshmen and sophomores (less than 60 hours) are required to live on campus, space permitting.

Exemptions include students who are:

  • Veterans of military service (181 days or more)
  • Married
  • Have dependent children
  • 21 years of age or older
  • Members of fraternities or sororities living in chapter houses (sophomores only), or
  • Commuting from their parent's permanent address.

Requests for exemption based upon special circumstances (defined as unique and unusual) will also be considered. Exemption Request Forms are available for download or available at the Department of Housing and Residence Life. 

The burden of providing necessary documentation and evidence to support an exemption request rests with the student. Students, who have provided false information in an exemption request or fail to comply with this required housing policy, will be charged a $1,000 non-compliance fee per semester.  Students may also be adjudicated for violating the student code of conduct for providing false information.  Students are asked to provide a housing exemption request for each academic year they are required to live on campus.

Download Exemption Forms (Fill out all that apply):

For all students applying for exemption: Required Housing Policy Exemption Form

For student commuting from home: Parent/Guardian Statement for Commuters Form

For students living on campus and moving out at any point during the academic year: Contract Termination Fee Exemption Form

Apply for housing

To apply for housing at WKU, you must complete a Housing Agreement. 

Upon execution of this agreement by both parties and payment of the deposit, this contract becomes effective and constitutes a binding agreement for the full academic year (Fall and Spring Semester), or the remaining portion thereof.

How to Apply for Housing

You may choose to apply for housing by (A.) a paper application -or- (B.) an online application.

(A) Paper Application

  1. Pick up a Housing Agreement from the HRL office (18 Southwest Hall) or download and print a copy.
  2. Review, complete and sign the Housing Agreement.
  3. Prepare a check or money order for the $150 Housing deposit. Make all checks payable to WKU.
  4. Turn in your Housing Agreement to the HRL office or mail your Agreement to:
The Office of Housing
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd. #11093
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1093

(B) Online Application

* When applying online, have all of your information at hand so your session will not time out before you are finished.

  1. Login to your Topnet Account
  2. Click "Continue Login" at the bottom of the page.
  3. Click "New Student Housing Application and Deposit."
  4. Select the term for which you will need housing and click "Submit."
  5. Read the Terms and Conditions and click "I Agree."
  6. Complete the Registration Form and click "Add."
  7. Click "Make a Credit Card Payment" to pay your $150 deposit.
  8. Fill out the Credit Card Payment form and click "Submit Payment."

Download and Print a Housing Agreement

Apply Online Through Topnet

Housing Terms and Conditions 

If You Need to Cancel Your Housing Agreement

If you decide not to attend Western Kentucky University after you have submitted your Housing Application, send an email to to cancel your housing application. Include your name and WKU Identification Number (800 number) with your request to cancel.

Learn more about the Cancellation Policy


Master Plan

Sign up for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan

The "Making Academic and Social Transitions Educationally Rewarding Plan" is a five-day transition program designed for the first-year residential student at Western Kentucky University. This exciting program provides a head start to your college career by assisting you in becoming acclimated to WKU and helping you to become connected to the campus community, faculty, staff, and other first-year students.

M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan includes informational sessions and interactive educational workshops that help you to enhance your skills for learning both inside and outside the classroom. Daily special events are designed to introduce you to the University's history and traditions to help you catch the WKU Spirit!

Campus interest sessions are designed to meet your specific needs and interests about different academic departments, student organizations, and campus services. Participation in M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan will help you meet other first-year students, building friendships, and provides you with the tools for building a foundation to be successful at WKU.

Learn More and Sign Up for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 10/12/16