- Residence Hall Director
- Assistant Residence Hall Director
- About HRL
- Human Resources
- Graduate College
- City of Bowling Green, KY
Assistant Residence Hall Director Position
The Assistant Residence Hall Director (ARHD) is an innovative, full-time, live-in, professional staff member in a dynamic department committed to creating supportive learning environments and helping students to reach their curricular and co-curricular goals.
The ARHD assists a Coordinator for Housing and Residence Life (CHRL) with the general administrative and managerial functions of a residence hall housing approximately 350-400 students. The ARHD is involved in co-managing an information and customer service oriented desk, shares responsibility for recruitment, selection, training, and supervision of a paraprofessional staff, and facilitates a programming and community development model designed around a residential curriculum. Additionally, the ARHD shares responsibility for co-advising and co-counseling residents, co-advises Hall Council, is a member of a crisis response/on-call rotation team ,and shares responsibility for adjudicating educational discipline conferences. The ARHD is directly supervised by a Coordinator for HRL.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
The following essential functions, duties and responsibilities are customary for this position. They are not to be construed as all-inclusive, and therefore may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Creating Supporting Learning Environment
- Develops mentoring, counseling, or advising relationship with residents
- Initiates community development, cognitive, personal, and holistic programs using a residential curriculum model
- Co-advises hall government
- Adjudicates educational disciplinary conferences for alleged policy violations
- Assists in executing the first-year student orientation program
- Administrative and Managerial Duties
- Assists with the administrative and managerial operations of a residence hall
- Assists with the recruitment, supervision, training, mentoring, and evaluation of approximately 12-15 paraprofessional staff members
- Manages a 24-hour information and customer service desk
- Provides intervention and responses for crises and other issues via a rotating on-call schedule
- Collaborates with housekeeping and facilities staff members to maintain a living environment conducive to learning
Requisite Knowledge and Skills:
- Must possess the ability to maintain an effective, cooperative working relationship with supervisors and co-workers in keeping with the values and missions of the Department and the University
- Must possess above average oral, written, and computer communication skills
- Must possess above average listening skills
- Must possess above average problem-solving, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Must possess the ability to practice sound, ethical, decision making
- Must be willing to serve as a role model for residential students, paraprofessional staff members, and co-workers in work ethic, attitude, and approach to work
- Must be willing to be a leader
- Must be willing to demonstrate a commitment to diversity and social justice
Conditions of Employment:
- Successful applicant must possess a Bachelor's degree
- Successful applicant must be willing to submit to a state and national criminal history background check
- Successful applicant must gain admission to the Graduate College and be a degree-seeking graduate student
- Previous experience as a Resident Assistant, Community Advisory, or other residence life related leadership roles is required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- 10-month contract paid over a 12 month period
- Partially furnished apartment with cable, internet service, utilities, local phone service (fair market value of approximately $10,000 a year). Apartment use is restricted to the employee, employees' spouse, and employees' dependent children
- Reserved parking space
- Professional development and extensive training opportunities within the Department, the Student Affairs Division, and the University at-large
- Salary of $15,024 to $15,600 with excellent benefits package including: medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, University Bookstore discount, and reduced membership to the University's health and fitness facility
When positions are available, applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter addressing the required qualifications, a current resume, and the names, mailing addresses, Email addresses, and daytime telephone numbers of three professional references using the online application process.
Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs
For further assistance call (270)745-5934.
Notice: For this type of employment, State law requires a state and national criminal history background check as a condition of employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Admendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitiation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.