- Residence Hall Director
- Assistant Residence Hall Director
- About HRL
- Human Resources
- The Graduate School
- City of Bowling Green, KY
Resident Assistant Application is Temporarily Closed
Resident Assistant Applications for the fall 2015 semester are currently closed so as to process our pool of candidates during our spring selection process. The application will be re-opened later this month. In the meantime, if you have any questions about applying to be an Resident Assistant for next fall, please e-mail Dr. Steve Briggs at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in working for HRL at WKU!
Resident Assistant (RA) Position
Becoming a Resident Assistant could be one of the best decisions of your life. Build real-world skills of planning, assessment, administration, counseling, conflict resolution, crisis management, facilities management, staff development, leadership training, public speaking, and many other valuable skills. You have the opportunity to make life-long friendships with residents and fellow staff. Take full advantage of your college experience - become an RA!
- RAs must be at least a second year student at the time of employment
- RAs must have had at least one semester participating in residence hall living
- RAs must be a currently enrolled, full-time student
- RAs must possess a desire to work with individuals and groups in a residential setting.
- RAs must be in good academic standing with the University and the Department
- RAs must be in good disciplinary standing with the University and the Department
- Under extremely rare circumstances, the Assistant Director of Residence Life may approve exceptions to the above qualifications
What is an RA?
The Resident Assistant (RA) is a unique, live-in, student leadership position in the Department of Housing and Residence Life and is an important member of the Residence Life team. The primary responsibility of the RA is to help residents have a positive residence hall experience at Western Kentucky University. Generally, the RA is an undergraduate student who works with a group of 25-60 residents and has numerous leadership roles including peer ally, teacher, community builder, programmer, resource informant, role model, and authority figure.
- A Resident Assistant is a Student...
- developing and applying effective time management strategies
- seeking supervision to monitor personal growth and development in order to maintain a balance between multiple life roles
- applying what is learned through training to the position
- working to learn, grow, and develop as a Resident Assistant and as a person
- employing study skill strategies that assist in keeping a respectable grade point average
- helping others by sharing the knowledge and information gained as a Resident Assistant and as a student
- A Resident Assistant is a Team Player...
- dedicated to practicing personal and academic integrity
- serving as a positive, supportive role model to residents and to other team members
- committed to participating in departmental training
- dedicated to communicating to other team members about successes and issues within the floor/hall community
- committed to serving as a positive liaison between residents, housekeeping personnel, and the residence life staff
- A Resident Assistant is a Community Builder...
- creating spaces where residents feel supported and accepted
- engaging residents in opportunities for:
- leadership development
- community service and volunteerism
- social and academic activities designed to promote personal growth and a life of excellence
- modeling basic principles of citizenship
- creating, coordinating, and implementing programs, activities, and outings to aid residents in realizing their academic and social goals.
- A Resident Assistant is a Peer Ally...
- modeling behaviors in keeping with departmental and university policies, values, and goals
- establishing communication with residents living in the floor community
- building and maintaining relationships with residents living in the floor community
- operating as a source of information for departmental, campus, and community resources
- operating as a peer advisory while utilizing departmental, campus, and community resources
- operating as a peer counselor while utilizing departmental, campus, and community resources
- mentoring residents to help them reach their academic and social goals
- A Resident Assistant is a Supporter of Diversity...
- creating an environment that is welcoming and comfortable for all floor residents
- celebrating diversity in all its forms in the floor community
- addressing issues of intolerance and hate by engaging residents in activities that broaden existing perspectives
- A Resident Assistant is a Teacher...
- providing residents with general information about the department, the university, events occurring on campus, and available resources and services
- partnering with residents, other hall RAs, and professional staff to support the academic mission of the department and the university
- assisting residents to develop healthy and appropriate academic behaviors
- developing intentional educational programming to support the academic mission of the department and the university
- encouraging residents to become learners for life and to develop relationships with faculty members outside of the classroom
- A Resident Assistant is a Programmer...
- creating and executing active, passive, spontaneous events and activities to assist residents in meeting their needs, interests, and concerns
- A Resident Assistant is an Administrator...
- assisting with the management of the hall front desk
- practicing customer service
- serving as a source of information for residents, guests, and visitors
- assisting the professional hall staff in efforts to maintain security
- seeking ways to improve desk efficiency and effectiveness
- performing administrative duties, preparing reports, and keeping records for the efficient, and effective functioning of the floor, the residence hall, and the department
- facilitating communication between residents, the housing staff, and the housekeeping staff
- maintaining residents' confidentiality in accordance with hall and department policy
- assisting the hall staff during hall openings, hall closings, and during M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan
- A Resident Assistant is a Policy Enforcer...
- establishing expectations on the floor for policy enforcement
- establishing standards on the floor for living in community
- assisting the professional hall staff in enforcing policy in the floor community
- educating residents on University, department, and hall policies and rationale
- A Resident Assistant is a Crisis Manager/Responder...
- assisting Central Office staff, hall staff, housekeeping staff, and University Policy in the handling of emergency and crisis situations
- assisting hall staff in mediating resident and floor conflicts and mediating counseling situations
- knowledgeable of hall and campus resources and encouraging residents to use these resources when needed
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,