*You do NOT need to remove all of your belongings from your room during Winter Break.
Only remove all of your belongings if you plan on checking out and not returning in
the Spring Semester.
All halls except PFT (PFT, see below):
In an effort to conserve energy and provide security, please do the following before you leave for break:
- Sign-up in advance for a check-out time with your RA (if your RA is not available, check with another RA in your building).
- Defrost and unplug refrigerator. Prop door open to prevent mold and mildew build-up. Make sure the refrigerator is clean and dry.
- Unplug all electrical equipment including computers, aquariums, stereos, televisions, etc.
- Wash all dirty dishes
- Throw away all trash and clean out the trash can. Take all trash to compactor or outside dumpster. Activate compactor with your room key.
- Set room temperature to 65 degrees and the fan speed in auto -OR- at halfway between blue and red with the fan speed on low (depending on what building you live in). You may want to take plants home because the heat will be reduced.
- Move the refrigerator, furniture, and all other belongings from in front of the heating unit so the filter can be changed.
- Remove belongings from the closet floor. This prepares the room to be sprayed for pests.
- Close and lock windows. Turn lights off and lock your room.
- If you are changing rooms or if you are permanently checking out, see your RA or Hall Director for additional paperwork and instructions.
The halls will close at 4:00 PM on Saturday, December 15, 2012. Have a safe and happy holiday break!
Northeast and Southwest halls will open on January 1 at 6:00 pm for the Winter Term. All residence halls will open on January 17, 2013 for the Spring Semester.
Instructions for PFT:
Spraying and Fogging for Pest Control
During the break, PFT will be sprayed and fogged for pests. Please prepare your room for this before Wednesday, December 19 by doing the following:
- Remove belongings from the floor
- Throw away all trash and clean out the trash can
- Wash Dishes
In order to spray and fog the building, PFT will be evacuated and closed on Wednesday, December 19, 2012. Every resident must be out of PFT by 7:30 AM. PFT will re-open at 5:00 PM. The lobby of Zacharias will be open from 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM. Please check with your hall staff for details.
The maintenance crew will be changing filters in every bedroom heating unit January 2-4, 2013 7:00 AM-8:00 PM. Please prepare your room by removing all personal belongings and furniture from in front of the unit.
When you leave for the holidays, please do the following:
- Unplug all your appliances, except the refrigerator
- Close and lock windows
- Empty trash
- Turn lights off
- Lock room
If you are changing rooms or if you are permanently checking out, see your RA or Hall Director for additional paperwork and instructions. Continue to carry your room key and I.D. with you at all times.