Windows 8 RT Support Information
WKU Information Technology now supports the Windows RT operating system on approved tablet devices under the Mobile and Personal Device Support pilot project. For more information about the project, click: http://www.wku.edu/it/mobile/
When considering the purchase of a Windows RT device, please understand it is designed as a mobile operating system and is not as fully functional as a Windows desktop or laptop computer. For Windows RT devices, keep the following in mind:
- The only vendor currently offering an approved tablet device that will run Windows RT is Microsoft. The approved device is the Surface.
- Windows RT includes Internet Explorer 10 (IE10), which is incompatible with Banner and InfoView.
- Windows RT cannot connect directly to WKU's Active Directory (AD) services. WKU's networked P:, :S:, and U: drives will not be easily accessible from a Windows RT device.
- Traditional network printing cannot be configured on a Windows RT device. Only Microsoft Windows RT certified printers can be connected.
- Software applications can only be purchased through the Windows Store. Available
software is limited. Not all regular Windows software titles are available.
a. Software licenses are considered home/personal use only, not corporate or business licenses.
- Windows RT is unable to run executable files (.exe)
a. This limits what software can be installed on the device because most software is installed using an .exe file
b. This limits what peripherals can be connected to the device because most peripheral drivers are installed using an .exe file.
c. Because of these limitations, most free software available on the internet for Windows devices will not run on Windows RT.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 is included with Windows RT, but other versions
of Microsoft Office will not run.
a. The Home and Student version of Office only includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote.
b. The Home and Student version of Office does NOT include Outlook (version 8.1 is supposed to include Outlook).
- In order to setup WKU email, the built-in mail client must be configured with Exchange
a. Setting up the built-in mail client requires a Microsoft Live Account.
- Flash only works on Microsoft approved websites.
- Neither Windows Media Player nor Windows Media Center is included with Windows RT.
- Windows RT is unable to run Java or Silverlight.
- Support for devices running Windows RT falls under the Mobile and Personal Device Support pilot project. WKU Information Technology provides limited support for such devices.
- Windows RT devices will not be supported in Student Technology Centers, departmental labs, or classrooms at WKU.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,