Over $200,000 Awarded to WKU Study Abroad Students for Upcoming Terms
|Author: Study Abroad and Global Learning|
Date: Friday, January 4th, 2013
WKU students who believe that it may be too expensive to include an international component in their college career should think twice. Between the Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning, the Student Government Association, the Honors College, and various other offices and scholarship sources, over $200,000 in funding has been made available to students studying abroad during the upcoming winter and spring terms. It has never been easier for WKU students to broaden their horizons through international study.
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning, one of the strongest proponents for international education on campus, awarded students over $90,000 through its World Topper Scholarship fund. Of the 225 World Topper Scholarship recipients, 56% are participating in WKU faculty-led programs, 8% in other short-term programs, 6% in WKU exchange programs, and 29% in semester programs through study abroad providers.
Of all the available scholarships, Honors College Junior Cody Hutchins received the largest single award: the C.Y. Tung Scholarship, worth $20,000 toward his Semester at Sea Spring 2013 Voyage. Five WKU students successfully applied for the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman scholarship, which awarded a combined total of $22,000 to recipients Allyson Beasecker, Haley Edwards, Haley Hilbert, Christina Paige, and Makka Wheeler.
Other WKU students who have received competitive scholarships from external sources include Daniel Wilhoyte, the winner of a DAAD Scholarship worth $3,100, Rachael Walters, who received a KIIS Scholarship of $750, and Katlyn Vincent, Abigail Egbers, and Abigail Boyd, who were awarded a collective $700 from CCSA. Michael McKay, who is participating in an exchange program in Canada next semester, received a FIPSE Grant of $5,000 through the Gordon Ford College of Business.
Other offices that awarded scholarships to students studying abroad this winter and spring are SGA, awarding $14,000 to 47 students, the Modern Languages Department, awarding $3,500 to 8 students, and the Honors College, awarding $17,800 to 72 students. The WKU Sisterhood and the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences will award an estimated total of $19,000 to 38 student who plan to complete the last month of their student teaching abroad this spring.
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning would like to remind students that study abroad is often much more affordable than one might initially think and encourages all students to consider an education abroad experience. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.wku.edu/studyabroad/ or contact our office at email@example.com or 270-745-5334.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,