WKU storm chasers ready for annual forecast expedition
|Date: Thursday, May 16th, 2013||Return|
Each year during WKU’s May term, Dr. Josh Durkee assembles a group of eight students for his Field Methods in Weather Analysis and Forecasting course and together, they forecast, analyze, document and study severe convective storms across the Great Plains.
The course, which won the “Creativity and Innovation Award” from the North American Association for Summer Programs in its inaugural year in 2010, runs for four weeks, including two spent traveling across the Plains tracking severe storms. During the previous three years, the groups have collectively traveled nearly 25,000 miles and documented 25 tornadoes, numerous damaging hail and wind events, dangerous lightning, and multiple floods. This year’s trip will begin Friday (May 17).
“My goal when I created this course was to provide a capstone, hands-on learning experience, never to be forgotten,” Dr. Durkee said. “In any facet of learning, when ‘real world’ scenarios force you to make critically important decisions, your learning retention is going to greatly improve. The design of this course is based on this principle and consequently, the students come back from the trip with a deeper knowledge base and greater appreciation of our atmosphere.”
Students participating in the 2013 course are: Ryan Difani of Pocahontas, Ark.; Will Paschall of Germantown, Tenn.; Tyler Smith of Russellville; Colton Lindsey of Mount Vernon, Ind.; Andrew Schuler of Independence; Tara Wagoner of Lafayette, Tenn.; Ilea Schneider of Lewisport; and Veronica Hall of Livonia, Mich.
You can follow Dr. Durkee’s storm chase group as they document each day at http://meteorology.blog.wku.edu/, on Twitter at https://twitter.com/wkustormchase and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/wkumetclimsci
Contact: Josh Durkee, (270) 745-8777.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author