The Parents Advisory Council serves as the governing body of the Parents Association and is comprised of 16-32 Parents Association Bronze, Silver, or Gold members representing each undergraduate class (freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior).
The dedicated parents and family members who serve on the Council support student success by advancing the efforts of the Parents Association to engage the parents and family members of WKU's current students. The Parents Advisory Council is charged with ensuring the effectiveness of the Association in achieving its goals, establishing and enforcing policies for the Association, and allocating funds from the Parents Fund to support student directed initiatives.
In addition, members of the Council are expected to:
- Attend at least two of three Parents Advisory Council meetings per academic year and one activity;
- Assist with the planning and staffing of Parent and Family Programs events including Parent and Family Weekend;
- Identify and advocate needs and concerns of other WKU parents and family members to University staff and administrators;
- Support the Parents Fund by making an annual gift in addition to membership dues;
- Further the goals of the Parents Association by assisting with fundraising efforts;
- Represent the Parents Association at new student recruitment and orientation events in the fall and spring;
- Promote the Parents Association and Parents Advisory Council to other parents and family members of WKU students;
- Interact with prospective students and their parents and family members in their local communities, and acquaint them with and highlight the benefits of attending WKU; and,
- Serve on the Council for at least one year with a maximum service equal to the number of years their students are enrolled at WKU.
Parents and family members who serve on the Council benefit from the opportunity to gain first-hand knowledge of developments in academics, campus life, and long-range projects from University staff and administrators. In addition, Council members benefit from the opportunity to work alongside, and forge connections and long-lasting friendships, with other parents and family members serving on the Council.
Parents Advisory Council officer positions include Chair (Co-Chair), Secretary, and Treasurer. Officers are elected to their positions by majority vote, and serve one-year terms (no more than two consecutive terms in the same position).
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,