Interested in teaching middle/high school math or science?
Consider the innovative SKyTeach program at WKU, which provides outstanding preparation for the next generation of Kentucky’s math and science teachers.
To become a middle school math or science teacher:
- You must complete the Science and Mathematics Education (SMED – SKyTeach Program) major and either a Middle Grades Mathematics (MGM – Department of Mathematics) major or a Middle School Science (MSS – Ogden College Office of the Dean) major.
- You will earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major in SMED and MGM or MSS.
- Your initial certification will be for grades 5 through 9.
To become a high school math or science teacher:
- You must complete the SMED major and a major in a content area that you wish to teach.
- You will earn a Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts degree with a double major in SMED and the selected content area.
- Your initial certification will be for grades 8 through 12.
- Certification is available in the following content areas: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics and Physics.
Students with initial certification seeking additional certification:
- If you have already completed PSY 310 and EDU 250 or equivalent courses, you may substitute them for SMED 102 and 210.
- You must complete all content area courses for the desired certification area.
- You must complete SMED 101, SMED 320, SMED 340, SMED 360, and SMED 470 as no substitutions will be permitted.
- You may not be required to complete MGE/SEC 490 or SMED 489.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,