WKU relies upon many forms of social media to connect with students, alumni, fans and the community in order to build relationships, answer questions, welcome visitors to campus, and solve problems. These audiences are now more connected to WKU than we ever thought possible!
We post news releases and other information about the great things happening at WKU - we work hard to make WKUs social media content engaging and interesting! Feel free to "Like," "Share," or "Retweet" our content! Do you have questions about how or why WKU embraces social media? See the FAQ's listed below and feel free to contact us on Twitter at @WKU or email firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
- What forms of social media does WKU use?
- Through the WKU offices of Media Relations and Creative Web Services, WKU communicates daily via social media outlets including a news feed, Facebook page, Twitter feed, Instagram, Google +, and more. WKU also has a mobile app called iWKU that is available for free download for iPhone, Blackberry and Android devices that is administered by the WKU Division of Information Technology. Individual departments across campus communicate via various social media and other outlets and said use is at their discretion and is encouraged but not regulated by WKU. To learn more about which WKU departments are using social media please visit the Social Media Directory.
- How does WKU use social media?
WKU uses news feeds, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram primarily to share University news and information with students, alumni, faculty, staff and fans. There are a lot of great things happening at WKU and we want to share that information! We also use various social media apps and groups to communicate directly with students to answer their questions and address their on-campus needs.
WKU administers "Class of" Facebook groups that are intended to unite cohorts of students by welcoming them to campus and providing them with a place to connect not only with one another, but also with WKU personnel in housing, financial aid, student affairs, and more.
- What is WKU's primary mission or goal in using social media?
The primary goal in using social media is to interact with our audiences in order to provide excellence customer service, communicate important information, build relationships, answer questions, welcome visitors to campus, solve problems, and continue to broaden the University's reach. WKU strives to maintain a well-connected campus. It is very important to us to be accessible to students, alumni and fans and to provide the most up-to-date, accurate and timely information about events and occurrences on campus. The instant communication offered by social media tools is a great way for us to reach our constituencies in real time.
- What ways does WKU NOT use social media?
WKU does not use social media to monitor the daily activities or comments of students. WKU does use public forums such as Facebook Pages, Groups and a custom "WKU on Facebook" App to share information and to answer students' questions, but rarely uses Facebook "wall" or "Timeline" functions to instigate communication with students. On the occasion that a student or interested person sends WKU messages via Facebook or Twitter, every effort is made to answer the student/person's question and to direct them to the appropriate WKU department for further information if necessary.
- Where can I find additional information about WKU's social media use?
Please visit the WKU Creative Web Services Website for media coverage information and policies regarding social media use from a university/institutional standpoint. For information and policies related to student use of social media, please visit the Judicial Affairs Website or the Student Affairs Website. For information on acceptable use policies related to WKU technology, please visit the WKU Information Technology Website.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,