Getting Started and Applying
Studying Abroad has been proven to have numerous benefits, both developmentally and professionally, for college students. Following the steps outlined below will get you started on your journey From the Hilltop to the World!®
The Study Abroad and Global learning is here to help you! If you have any questions or run into any difficulty with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 270-745-5334.
STEP ONE: Find the best program for you
You can research available programs by using search tools available in the catalog of study abroad programs offered through WKU. The catalog can be accessed from the WKU SAGL homepage at any time by clicking the "Find My Program" button. If you are not finding a program that meets your needs, consult with a Study Abroad Advisor.
The Program Comparison Worksheet can help you think through your goals and priorities for your study abroad experience and narrow down options as you research programs.
- Map Search – Search by location.
- Simple Search -- Search by program name, term, and/or location. This is also where you can search for scholarships, such as the World Topper Scholarship and the Semester at Sea Award.
- Advanced Search - Search by a variety of parameters including city, country, region, field of study, program length, faculty leader and more.
- WKU Programs - Browse programs led by WKU faculty or with which WKU is closely partnered.
Other resources are also available to help you select the best program and navigate the application process:
- Study Abroad Peer Advisors have studied abroad and are trained to assist you as you search for your own program. You can schedule a session with a Peer Advisor after you select “Request Advising” on any program information page.
- Walk-in Wednesdays: Peer Advising is a time when you can come by the office for advising or help with the application system without making an appointment. Peer Advisors and/or Study Abroad Advisors will be available to speak with you. Visit the WKU SAGL Calendar for dates and times.
- Study Abroad Advisors can help you as you try to decide on a program that fits your academic needs, career goals, and financial constraints, or at any stage in the application process. You can schedule a meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor by selecting “Request Advising” on any program information page.
- Other SAGL Events: Visit the WKU SAGL Calendar for dates and times of event where you could obtain more information. SAGL holds a Study Abroad Fair each semester, which is a great opportunity to speak with numerous program respresentatives.
STEP TWO: Apply for a program or Request Advising
Once you have decided on a program, you can start your application by clicking the “Apply” button on the program page. Please note that there is a non-refundable $150 study abroad application fee that will be charged to your Topnet account after you apply. If you are still unsure, you can “Request Advising” to schedule an advising meeting or “Request Info” to send an email inquiry.
After clicking the “Apply” button, you will be instructed to log in (use your WKU Net I.D. and password). Follow the instructions on screen. Read and complete all required pre-decision materials. If you run into any difficulty with the application please e-mail email@example.com.
STEP THREE: Complete application materials and attend pre-departure orientations
After you have applied and completed the initial application materials, a Study Abroad Advisor will review your application to check your GPA and disciplinary record for eligibility. Once you have been accepted, will be notified to return to your study abroad application and view the decision. You will then be able to complete the remaining post-decision (pre-departure) materials. You will be required to attend a SAGL general pre-departure orientation and, in most cases, at least one program-specific orientation.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,