WKU Military and Veteran LinksVeterans Affairs WKU
Welcome Veterans and Military Students!
Thank you for your service!
We are proud that you have chosen Western Kentucky University! It is an honor to serve you as you pursue your educational goals.
WKU has been ranked #7 in the Nation as a Best For Vets 4-year college by Military Times Edge Magazine, and has been designated as a Military Friendly School every year since 2009 by G.I. Jobs Magazine.
WKU is committed to serving you!
WKU is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
Consortium and the SOC Degree Network System.
Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium
The SOC Consortium consists of colleges and universities committed to expanding and
improving voluntary postsecondary educational opportunities for servicemembers worldwide.
SOC Consortium members subscribe to principles and criteria to ensure that quality
academic programs are available to active-duty military students, their family members,
and veterans. A list of current SOC Consortium member institutions can be
found on the SOC Web site at http://www.soc.aascu.org/.
SOC Degree Network System Membership
WKU is a member of the SOC Degree Network System, a subgroup of SOC
Consortium member institutions selected by the military Services to deliver specific associate and bachelor's degree programs to servicemembers and their families. As a member of the DNS, we have agreed to adhere to academic policies intended to support military students in their academic endeavors towards degree completion.
- A Textbooks for Troops program for military students who do not receive a book stipend. Check out a textbook for an entire semester, then return it for another student to use. Once the book is no longer being used in class, we donate it to a charity who sends the book overseas where it will be used in the classroom. It's the ultimate recycling program! Click here for more information.
- A Special Tuition rate for Active Duty service members: $250 per credit hour to all Active Duty service members from all branches, Reserves, and National Guard for Undergraduate and Graduate courses. View more...
- Course credit for military experience and training. Be sure to identify as a Veteran on the admissions application so your AARTS, SMART, or Air Force transcripts are evaluated upon entry at WKU. If you are already a student at WKU and would like to ensure your transcripts were evaluated, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- View Transfer Credit Equivalencies for your military training
- To view transfer credit Equivalencies for your military experience, choose Military Educ & Experience ---Ft. Leavenworth, KS from the drop down list of schools.
- A dedicated Military Programs Counselor who specializes in assisting Active Duty service members. email@example.com.
- A Veterans Resource Center in Tate Page Hall 410. Stop by the VRC where our staff of all veterans will assist with your questions, help you prepare for CLEP exams, guide you through the GoArmyEd steps for your federal TA, connect you with campus services such as counseling, and many other programs. Stop by today to see what we can offer you.
- A military listserv to notify you of special events, discounts, scholarships, and news.Sign up here: http://lists.wku.edu/mailman/listinfo/wku-military
- A Student Veterans Alliance http://www.wku.edu/sva/
- The only Veterans Upward Bound program in the state of Kentucky: http://www.wku.edu/vub/
- A Vet-2-Vet Peer Mentorship Program for new incoming veterans.
- A Veterans Affairs office for processing Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits located in Potter Hall 317: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recognition Cords for Military and Veterans graduating from WKU. Faculty/Staff military veterans participating in the graduation ceremonies are also eligible to wear these beautiful red, white, and blue honor cords. Stop by TPH 408 to learn more.
- CanDoo: Come visit CanDoo, WKU's very own therapy dog, in Tate Page Hall 408. He comes to us as a gift from the Scariot and Kelly families of Bowling Green. Stop by for a visit. He will brighten your day.
Learn more about WKU's Textbooks for Troops program in this segment of the View From the Hill
Meet CanDoo in this segment of the View From the Hill
Military Student Services has MOVED
We are now located in TPH in 408. Same great service, new bigger location.
Textbooks for Troops to be extended to military spouses and children for Summer and
Fall 2013 terms.
The program will be open to the children and spouses of Active Duty, Guard, Reserve and veterans, on a first come first serve basis as funds allow, for Fall 2013 term. To be eligible, children and spouses must show proof of a parent(s)/ spouse's military service or a Dependent ID card. The Fall priority deadline is July, 5th for those needing books shipped, and July 29th, for those picking the books up on Main Campus. The priority deadline is to help ensure that we can get books to you on time. The regular deadline is Aug. 19th. Come by Tate Page Hall room 408, or contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
FREE SCAN TRONS AND BLUE BOOKS!!
We are now offering free Scan Trons and Blue Books to our military community at WKU. Please come by Tate Page Hall room 408 to pick them up.
SOKY Veterans Council
Meetings are held on the last Wednesday of every month at the WKU ALIVE Center from 3:15-4:30.
For more information contact:
Student Veterans Alliance Monthly Meetings
March 25, 2014 at @ 3:00pm
March 26, 2014 @ 5:00pm
Meetings are held in the Veterans Resource Room (VRC) Tate Page Hall 410.
For more information:
Military Student Service
Tate Page Hall, 408
1906 College Heights Blvd. # 81086
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1086