Undergraduate Course Fees
Beginning in the summer of 2014, a college-wide “GFCB Fiscal Resources Task Team” comprising students, faculty, and business leaders was organized to determine the programs and services needed for the future success of our students. Our intention is to be a leader in providing applied student-centered programs and services that will differentiate GFCB students as being well-prepared for workplace and lifelong success. Our students are among the very best anywhere and deserve first-class support for their educational experience, career preparation, and job attainment. Thus, it is imperative for the future of our students that investments in key GFCB programs be enhanced to assure their career and lifelong success.
The Task Team recommended our College seek to increase its programs for students in the following areas:
- Facilitating career-related internships for students,
- Facilitating career preparation and job placement,
- Providing tutoring services,
- Sponsoring events to help students develop their professional selves through the Professional Education and Knowledge (PEAK) program,
- Supporting student and faculty research through up-to-date databases and similar resources, and
- Enhancing the brand image of the College so employers recognize the value of an education obtained from the Gordon Ford College of Business and recruit students accordingly.
However, the costs of providing these identified services exceeded the current funding available. It was proposed that a $15 per credit hour fee for each undergraduate course offered by our College would provide funding for those important student-centered programs and services. As one of the students on the Team noted: “As a student representative for the Gordon Ford College of Business Fiscal Task Force, I believe the implementation of a course fee will provide valuable resources dedicated towards long-term student success.”
Students of the GFCB will begin benefiting from their investment in those programs and services immediately as the following have become or will become available during the fall 2015 semester:
- GFCB Internship Coordinator,
- Permanent funding for a full-time GFCB Career Development Specialist,
- Permanent funding for a full-time GFCB Communication Coordinator to inform students of programs offered by the college and engage the business community, and
- Expanding PEAK services such as networking events, job fair workshops, and business etiquette seminars.
- It is important to note that course fees will not be used for a new college of business building.
We invite students, faculty, staff, and business leaders to serve on an oversight committee that will be responsible for periodically reviewing the course-based fees and related use of those funds. Please contact the Dean’s Office if you are interested in serving on this important committee. In addition, should you or others have questions about the course fees, please do not hesitate to contact the Dean’s Office to appropriately answer those questions.
Thank you for choosing the Gordon Ford College of Business as your academic home! We are very proud of our students, faculty, and staff!