July 5 - 9, 2021
"She told me 'can't' is no longer in her vocabulary."
— Jevonda Keith, parent of Kimi Keith, Camp Explore 2019
"Every time we picked him up, he said, 'I had the best awesome day ever!' I'm glad
he's learning and hanging out with kids like him."
— Michael Timmer, parent of Michael Timmer II, Camp Explore 2019
"Each day when she came home, she had learned something new."
— Lillian Scoggins, parent of Adeline Houchin, Camp Explore 2019
The Center for Gifted Studies’ Camp Explore (formerly known as The Summer Camp) is
a one-week day camp designed for students with advanced ability and high interest
who were in grades one, two or three during the previous school year.
- The experience features hands-on and minds-on instruction to engage children in learning at advanced levels. Throughout the week, teachers experienced in gifted education guide the students in learning that is differentiated for their particular needs and advanced levels.
- The camp’s approach is interdisciplinary: students study a single big idea across a variety of disciplines like language arts, math, science, social studies, theater, and art. The big idea, such as “change” and “patterns,” alters each year.
- The minds on, hands on activities can include such projects as building anemometers, creating origami, reading and writing about about innovators, and doing geometric puzzles.
- Registration is limited to 50 children.
Camp Explore meets in Gary A. Ransdell Hall on the campus of Western Kentucky University. Ransdell Hall is the home of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. It is located at the corner of Regents Street and Normal Drive.
Children bring their lunches. Teachers and children eat together either in the building or on the patio, depending on the weather.
For articles on and photos of past camps, please search for Camp Explore on The Center's
blog, Happenings at The Center for Gifted Studies.
- Students must be completing 1st - 3rd grade, show high interest and ability, and be recommended by an educator.
- Tuition is $375.
- Tuition is due with completed application.
- Limited financial assistance is available. Contact our office at 270-745-6323 for information.
- 9:00 am - 2:00 pm (CDT) daily