Help with DUO: Multi-Factor Authentication
Something you know + Something you have
To improve our cyber security, WKU is phasing in multi-factor authentication (MFA) for key IT services. Duo is the application WKU uses for MFA.
If you do not currently have a Duo account, please follow these instructions to enroll. If you have questions or need assistance, submit an online request or contact the ITS Service Desk. There is no cost to install the application.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
MFA is a login authentication method requiring multiple proofs of identity. Most IT services currently require your username and password. MFA adds another proof, such as a code sent via text, to an app, or to a phone. WKU is already using Duo for very sensitive systems like the VPN.
Many organizations now utilize MFA as an extra security measure to protect sensitive or private data. MFA reduces the threat of compromised user accounts (ex., hacking) because it takes more than a username and password to access an account. Examples you may have already seen include your bank, PayPal, and social media sites.
Timeline of events for implementing Duo multi-factor authentication for WKU Faculty and Staff.
Jan 28, 2019 to Feb 24, 2019
Pre-enrollment Period for Duo
This is your opportunity to install Duo before it is required for any services.
Feb 25, 2019
Duo Required for Webmail
Duo will be required to access Outlook Web Access (i.e., OWA, webmail).
Mar 9, 2020
Duo Required for myWKU
Duo will be required to access my.wku.edu.
May 26, 2020
Duo Required for Banner Access
Duo will be required to access banner.wku.edu.
July 13, 2020
Duo Required for TopNet Access
Duo will be required to access topnet.wku.edu.
- Read about self-service options
- You will have an option to save the device you are logging into for 30 days. For 30 days you will not have to use Duo with that device.
- Duo does not need an internet connection to work from your mobile phone. You can use the Duo app in airplane mode.
- Only active Faculty and Staff need to enroll at this time.
- Duo is not an email application, or an application that needs to be installed on your computer.