The M.A. in Applied Economics emphasizes the training of students with backgrounds in economics and other arts and sciences for careers that require strong analytical skills, technical tools, and communication abilities. The skills students learn in the program can be applied to a broad range of subjects. Graduates of our program are employed in both private and public sector as economists, statisticians, data scientists, business intelligence analysts, forecast analysts, consultants and in many other roles. Several of our graduates went on to pursue Ph.D. in economics, finance and public policy.
To broaden their skill set, students may also enroll in courses from related graduate programs including the Master in Business Administration, the Master in Public Administration, and the Master in Health Care Administration
In addition to coursework, students complete an end-of-program applied project that serves as a capstone experience for the program and also helps build specific technical skills to enhance employability of graduates.
Key Features of the WKU M.A. in Applied Economics
The WKU M.A. in Applied Economics is a unique opportunity to earn an advanced degree at a growing, dynamic institution with a rich history. Key features of this exciting degree include:
- The program is 30 credit hours and can be completed in 1 year
- Offers two concentrations: General concentration and Mathematical Methods concentration
- Non-economics majors welcome
- Emphasis on employable, applied skills
- Graduate Assistantships and other financial assistance available
- The program qualifies for STEM OPT extension (CIP Code 45.0603), which allows students 3 years of optional practical training in the U.S. after they complete the program.
- Opportunity to work on regional applied research for the WKU Center for Applied Economics
- Flexible coursework to match student interest
- Wide-ranging career opportunities:
- Economic and financial analysis
- Market research
- Data analytics
- Business consulting
- Public policy analysis
- Federal and state Governments
To find out the cost of the program, see current tuition rates.