Office of Scholar Development
The Office of Scholar Development (OSD) challenges students to dream big and assists
them in making those dreams attainable. OSD staff members help students apply for
nationally competitive scholarships by assisting students in finding opportunities
to be engaged in their chosen fields beyond the classroom and aiding them in the process
of finding the right programs, making important contacts, developing strong proposals,
and revising numerous drafts. The office works with students on all WKU campuses and
in all majors and degree programs. In the 2015-2016 academic year, OSD helped WKU
students to win over $450,000 in external scholarship funding. Beyond the dollars
and cents, national scholarships help students to study abroad, conduct research,
complete undergraduate and graduate degrees, and change lives.
Additionally, we offer support to faculty and staff members in their endeavors to
assist individual students and promote research, creative activities, and achievement
university-wide. We collaborate with faculty and staff to apply for grants to create
opportunities for students, develop workshops related to our mission, and celebrate
the successes of WKU students and their faculty advisors.
What OSD can do for you:
OSD's mission focuses on a core group of national scholarships. You can browse a
full list of OSD-supported scholarships here. OSD supports students who are applying for these core scholarships by offering:
- Guidance on becoming a more competitive applicant;
- Support conceptualizing application essays and proposals;
- Assistance in revising and refining;
- Support in preparing for interviews; and
- Support in applying for graduate/professional school and other national scholarships
as time allows.
In addition, OSD will suggest a broad range of other national scholarships and internal
scholarships for which you should apply.
Periodically, OSD offers workshops, programming, and other resources to help students
develop competitive applications for a broad range of opportunities.
What we expect from you:
- To treat scholarship applications and assignments given by your scholarship advisor
with the same seriousness as your school work.
- To give your scholarship advisor as much notice as possible if you need to cancel
or reschedule a meeting.
- To discuss difficulties you encounter with a scholarship application or doubts you
have about the process when they arise.
- To attend required workshops and/or view instructional videos on Blackboard.
What OSD does not do:
- OSD does not read internal WKU scholarship applications. OSD offers occasional workshops
and other resources related to these scholarships. Students seeking one-on-one assistance
with these scholarships should visit the Writing Center in 123 Cherry Hall.
- OSD does not edit student essays by fixing grammar, punctuation, and syntax; rather,
it is our goal to help students understand the mechanics of effective writing.
- OSD advisors do not write letters of recommendation for applicants unless we have
taught students or supervised them in service projects, research, campus organizations,
internships, or campus employment.
Fall 2008 – Spring 2017 Successes
96 Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships
35 Fulbright U.S. Student Grants
30 Critical Language Scholarships
27 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships and Honorable Mentions
21 National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) Awards
13 NSF Graduate Research Fellowships and Honorable Mentions
12 Boren Scholarships for International Study
11 Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
7 SMART Scholarships
6 Fulbright United Kingdom Summer Institute Participants
6 Morris K. Udall Scholarships and Honorable Mentions
5 EPA Greater Research Opportunity Fellowships