Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Study Away

StudyAway links

For Program Leaders

Related Programs

study away proposals


Program Leaders

Let us help you decide which type of program you would like to propose.

What is a Study Away Course?

death valleyStudy Away Courses

Apply the lessons learned in the classroom through off-campus, hands-on practical learning in U.S. locations.

Study Away is right for you if:

  • You want to take your classroom on the road, but need help in dealing with the logistics
  • You are running a certificate program, and desire to give your students a fresh perspective on their program
  • You are seeking to challenge students in new ways with Honors enriched embedded courses
  • You want to incorporate an off-campus experience into a semester-long course.

Anyone who can teach a course may be a Study Away program leader. A co-leader, second person with the instructor, could be any WKU employee (or student).

Study Away scholarship are periodically available for students to help offset the costs associated with off-campus programs.

We also offer Program Leader travel grants to develop new programs.

What is an American Traveler program?

fly fishingAmerican Traveler Programs

American Traveler programs can be led by anyone who is an expert about an area or topic. It matters little whether the expertise comes as a result of professional study or practiced hobby, as long as you have a passion to share with others. The Study Away office serves to facilitate these trips and bring the resources of the university to the citizens of Kentucky.

There are other options to lead a group.  

You may want to partner with a content expert while you lead the group on-site logistics in a place you know well.  Or you may be a content expert in search of someone who knows a place you'd like to try out.  We're open to discussing any option.

Where do I start for Study Away?

All programs start with good planning. 

Start here.

Interested in teaching a study abroad course?

Teaching a Study Abroad

Are you interested in teaching a WKU faculty-led study abroad course?  Go here.

Or maybe with CCSA in English-speaking countries?  Check out CCSA.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 12/11/17