Pre-Physical Therapy Application Process
- Take the GRE - preferably sometime in the July through November "window" of the year prior to your matriculation (eg. July 2015 for Fall 2016). Test dates can be found on GRE web site. It is highly recommended that you register for a test date and site as early as possible. Prime test dates and sites WILL fill up quickly. You must plan ahead!!!
- Apply Early - PTCAS permits applicants to create an account and begin entering information in the first week of July. Although files may not be reviewed by admissions staff until GRE scores are received in early August, they will often send the secondary (supplemental) application to you, especially if you are in-state. You should get your application in by mid August. By the end of September, the Kentucky schools have already received a couple of hundred applications. Do not wait until the application deadline!!
- PTCAS - Go to the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) Web Site for more details. PTCAS verifies the accuracy of the information in the application, reproduces the information and sends it to the schools you indicate. WKU, Bellarmine, and UK utilize PTCAS. The charge is $140 for the first school and $40 for each additional school that you apply to. Application to 5 schools would cost $300.
- Have transcripts sent to PTCAS. PTCAS begins accepting transcripts in July. An official transcript must be sent from the Registrar's Office of every school you attended, even study abroad and summer courses, directly to PTCAS. WKU has an online request form at http://www.wku.edu/registrar/transcript_request.php
- The application includes an essay or "personal statement". Don't procrastinate writing your essay. You should begin months before you submit to PTCAS. Have peers and faculty proofread and criticize. You can also utilize the Writing Center in Cherry Hall.
- Early Decision Program - Around 60 physical therapy schools participate in an early decision program (EDP) geared toward highly qualified students who know which school they want to attend. The EDP deadline is August 15th. If you participate, you agree to apply to no other school until after September 25th. None of the Kentucky schools currently participate in EDP.
- See your advisor about setting up the letter of evaluation (LOE) process. At least one of the letter should be written by a Physical Therapist and one should be written by a Professor (Science). LOEs are typically sent to PTCAS.